what is a good age to move a child out of a crib into another bed? and do recommend a toddler bed or just going right to an adult sized bed?

kate1227

Asked by kate1227 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just moved our 19 month old to a twin sized bed, skipping the toddler bed. He is so tall, he is as big as some 3 year old kids. I was concerned about him. He is 37 inches tall. So far so good!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You can buy side rails for a full size bed or adult bed if you don't want to buy a toddler bed only to buy another bed in a year. Our daughter is going from her crib into a twin size bed. Start off by doing nap time in the bed during the day and then slowly start putting them in the bed at night if they are scared. The best way is nap time and then you may have to sit with them for a few nights.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I moved my son from a crib to a toddler bed at 12 months cause he was starting to climb out. and I was worried that a twin bed was going to be WAY to big. We just pushed one side to the wall and the other side had one of those netting rail things. He is now 22 months old and has done AWSOME with it. I would just rather him fall from a toddler bed then a crib or a full size bed. We were going to move him to another bed in another year...he is still doing great in a toddler bed.
    Manda_62007

Answer by Manda_62007 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• MY DD WAS 10 MONTHS OLD WHEN WE MOVED HER TO A TODDLER BED(CONVERTIBLE CRIB)THEN WHEN WE MOVED I PUT HER IN A TWIN SIZED BED AT 2 ......I WOULD NEVER GO OUT AND BUY A TOLLDER BED UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO!

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We switched our daughter when she started climbing out of her crib. It was around 22 months old. We converted her crib to a toddler bed.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I moved DD to a toddler bed (cause she had a convertible crib) when she was 18 months and she did remarkably well. I think it is really up to your child - how they act and how well they transition - when determining if it is time to move out of the crib. As for the bed size...if you have a convertible crib do the toddler size, if you don't I wouldn't waste money on a toddler bed I'd just get a regular twin!
    NattysMommy

Answer by NattysMommy at 11:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son is 16 months old and he is in a toddler bed. It was given to me as a gift. He loves it. He was always climbing out of his crib. He does wonderful in the toddler bed and one side is up against the wall. I think it all depends on your child, how they transition and when you feel they are ready. You never want to rush them. Good luck
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 12:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I moved my son to a toddler bed at 1 year old. I thought a twin would be to big. And the toddler has the railings on it that I like. If your child is not climbing out of the crib I would leave him/her there longer until they are climbing out. My son could prob. go another 2 years in his toddler bed it fits him well, So I don't think it was a waste of money. I would get about 4 years out of it.
    LandonsMom321

Answer by LandonsMom321 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009