Is 4 LBS weight gain in 4 weeks normal?

I put on 4 lbs since my last Dr. Check up 4 weeks ago....is this to high? or is it normal?

Kandee2009

Asked by Kandee2009 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its a little high as you should only gain a pound a week during the last few weeks. It could be extra water as well or you may need a good bowel movement. Cut back on the snacks if your hungry all the time eat more protein.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't think it's too bad. In my first pregnancy I gained 10 pounds one month and 7 pounds the next month. Usually the obs are really good at noticing any problems as they start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It also goes based off how much you were before you got pregnant and if you have stayed low before this. Some women its okay for them to gain 4 pounds in a month when others are told not to gain more than a certain amount of weight in a month.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• that sounds normal...every check up I went to I gained a different amount of weight, there's really no exact science to it... I personally have gained 30lbs total and am due in 3 weeks. I actually lost 5lbs in the first few weeks because I lost my appetite completely...there were a few monthly appts I went to that I would gain just a few lbs and then around halfway through (which also was around thanksgiving and christmas) I gained 5lbs in a week! Your doctor will tell you if you aren't gaining enough or if you're gaining too much.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Im 29 weeks now...but I dropped from 215 down to 195 during the first trimester because I couldnt keep any food down....but now im 221....ARGH...feel huge...but my family says I dont even look like a gained it anywhere except for my tummy...so i dunno
    Kandee2009

Answer by Kandee2009 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think it's normal to gain about a pound per week. If your baby needs more weight your body will try to gain it. I wouldn't worry, you'll have lots of time after the baby comes to lose the weight.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• ok i was 150lbs when i got preg. when i was 6 months i had only gained 15 lbs. by the time i had him i was a whopping 192lbs. i gained a ton each month at the end. 8-10lbs a month. i had toxemia too so i dont know what is suppose to be normal. i just think everyone varies.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I gained 39 while I was pregnant. I was TOLD not to gain more than 25 b/c I was overweight to begin with. I didn't listen to them b/c my body knows what it is supposed to do. I wouldn't worry about 4 in 4 weeks. I gained 9 in 2 weeks. Not a big deal. Just watch what you eat and your body will do what it is intended to do. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I am gaining 4lbs a week I am 32 weeks now and the doc says thats normal one month I gained 3 but the next five he said that was ok only gained 20lbs so far.
    Moe727

Answer by Moe727 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I gained 8lbs in a month when I went from 5-6months. My doctor didn't say much other than he was glad I was putting on weight...it was a BIG shocker when I saw the scale, lol. I'd only been gaining a few ponds a month since my 3rd month. Then after that big leap of 8lbs, I only gained around 3-4pounds or so. I gained 32lbs throughout my whole pregnancy.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009