My doctor said to let my DD cry at night....

My DD is 10 months old, and the doctor told us she should be sleeping through the night. He said we need to let her cry in the night and not get her or she will just get louder and it will get worse. My husband is all for this. I am the one who doesn't know if it is right. Should I listen to them or keep getting up with her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The longer you get up with her the older she is going to get and unless you want a 3 year old getting up to eat at night then yes stop and let her cry. Our daughter is 7 months and at 3.5 months we started letting her fuss it out. She would get up twice a night and I had enough of it and so did my husband. So we let her fuss. Each night the time will get less and less and the cry will get softer to the point she will fuss a second or two and go to sleep. She might be cold or hot as well. She needs to learn to self soothe at some point and the older she is the harder it is and if you plan on more kids at some point you don't want to be up all night with her and pregnant or having a new born. She can go 10 to 12 hours without food.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• In my opinion its whats right for you.....I started letting my son cry it out at four months and he is now 22 months and sleeps through the night without a problem and always has. As soon as I stopped going in there he realized he was goign to have to self sooth. It worked for us but every person and child is different. My husband use to have a hard time with it and I would just tell him to go outside and feed the dogs or to go take a shower so he couldnt hear him. I knew that it would work for us. I hope this helps :D
    Manda_62007

Answer by Manda_62007 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I let my daughter cry it out at 6 months old and it worked in 2 days. She slept by herself all night long after that. It was awesome. But it doesn't always work for everyone...
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 10:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. But that's me. I never did this with my daughter, and now, at 3 and a half, she goes to sleep by herself in her own bed, and sleep most of the night every night. You do what you feel is best.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If my doctor told me to let my kid cry it out I would be finding a NEW doctor. NOT before taking a stack of research in to his office showing him the negative effects of CIO. You will never forgive yourself for letting your husband and doctor bully you into doing something you're obviously having serious doubts about. That is your mother's intuition and you should listen to it.

Have you tried cosleeping with your daughter? That usually gets them to sleep through the night and into a steady sleep pattern without you having to get up all through the night.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Docs push alot of things that I believe are not right (not getting into it a debate so won't go there). Trust your instinct. YOU are the mother, you know what your baby needs.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We used CIO and it works great. My DD has slept through the night since she was 6 weeks old. The CIO came in when we took the paci away. You have to do what works for you. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't, but my DD is healthy and well adjusted for 9 mos old. Although when she is teething and cries in the middle of the night we go in and pick her up soothe her and put her right back to bed. I wish you luck deciding what to do but they can go 12-14 hours w/o food and my LO is proof. She sleeps 8p.m. - 10 a.m.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes, let her cry it out, but start gradual. Be in there with her but not pick her up, then the next time just peek in for a min. Each time reassure her with out picking her up. It is healthy for her at this age to soothe herself back to sleep at night. Maybe play a slow and calm music in her room at night (anything to help). Plus, aren't you ready to have a full night sleep too. The sooner you can get her to be an independent sleeper, it will help with seperation anxiety, well rested family, and her feeding schedule more routine.
    Co-sleeping, from my excperience just causes the same problems just later on. Imagine trying to get a toddler out of your bed when thats all they know!!! AHHHHH it isn't fun I promise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No mama... do what YOU feel is right. Read the "No cry sleep solution"
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Uh, no. And to everyone that says if they don't cry it out they will never sleep through the night, my 25 month old begs to differ. NEVER cried, slept in our bed, and now sleeps in her own bed through the night just fine, give her a kiss, walk out, she sings to her doll, then goes to sleep.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2009