Agnostics, Athiests, and my fellow friends that don't believe in the christian god..

would you let your kid go to boy scouts/girl scouts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was just going to post an answer about spiral scouts but you beat me to it amaranth! LOL

Here's the link:
    http://www.spiralscouts.org/

I personally wouldn't care, if my kids want to sign up i'll let them. As long as they aren't forced to believe in the Christian God no harm there. They can learn about other beliefs. I think it's good to have them learn and have an open mind about other faiths.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm an atheist and my older 2 girls are in Girl Scouts. I don't have a problem with the GSA. When my oldest did her first year of Brownies we were told straight out they didn't have to believe in any god and could omit that part from their pledge (whatever they call it). Cool with me.
    But my son...he will never be a part of the BSA because they are discriminatory. They say they are a "Christian" organization which is fine for them but they don't hold the same values I do so I can't, in good conscience, let my son participate in those groups. And he knows why. He's a little sad since many of his friends are in Cub Scouts but he doesn't want to be a part of a group that, at their core, believes his family can't be good people because they don't believe in a higher power (and my son doesn't believe either).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No, but only because we live in a fundamentalist christian area and no one around here knows how to do anything that doesn't involve prayer.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I am currently agnostic. Both my older kids went to scouts. My oldest daughter attends a weekly church youth group. I don not let my beliefs interfer with my families. Heck my FIL is an ordained preacher.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Ok, I must be out of the loop......are they that Christian that they push it on the kids? I haven't heard this. I was in Camp Fire as a kid and it was awesome, but it's not around here anymore :(
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• WHELL IM CHRISTIAN AND I WOULD NEVER ALLOW MY DD TO BE IN GIRL SCOUTS  ....BECAUSE OF THE SAME REASON AS JUSTANOTHERJEN!

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• that makes no sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• AND the question wasn't directed at you. TY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My oldest tried it but found they were a little too fundamentalist and discrimintory for him.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Nope

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2009