• In the Spotlight:

We are going to take our 16 month old to the beach for the first time does anyone have any advice I could use?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bring a long a inflatable baby pool. My daughter loves to play in in under the umbrella.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen...remember the top of their head and those tender ears. Reapply twice as often as you would yourself. When mine were little I always made sure I had a gallon of fresh water with me to rinse sand from all those yucky places sand goes. Have fun.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• make sure to use sunscreen, bring snack and drinks, water type shoes are great, hats, and baby powder can help remove sand from a DRY body. Don't forget your towels. Have fun.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The little pop up tents are good. My kids have one they play with at home and we usually take it to the pool or beach too. It's a little get away for them to get out of the sun....plus it helps finding where you are sitting if you walk down the beach...lol.
    fpraglowski

Answer by fpraglowski at 10:57 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• SUNSCREEN AND BABY POWDER HELPS WITH GETTING THE SAND OFF! AND YOUR NORMAL BEACH STUFF, DRINKS,TOWELS,SNACKS,ETC

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• A good SPF of 50 is what I used the first time we took our daughter; she was about the same age as yours. Apply the sunscreen about 20-25 minutes prior to sun exposure and repeat as recommended on the bottle.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Sunscreen, sun hat, little swimmers, water for rinsing, drinks and snacks. Take some little buckets and shovels too. Your little one can have lots of fun with those.Or even old cookie cutters you don't use anymore.Then they can make shapes in the sand. Good luck and have fun!!!
    tiffanyec21

Answer by tiffanyec21 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Make sure to keep that sunscreen lathered!

And be prepared to get up and leave before you are ready, lol. If you can a hotel would be a nice idea so you could have a place to cool baby off and calm down with a nap instead of having to get back in the car and make another drive, lol.

We're hoping to take our daughter to the beach for the first time soon and I'm nervous! Lol.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 1:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009