How can we get our 1.5 month old son to not sleep in our bed?

After my DS has a feeding in the middle of the night he won't go back to his crib where he started and wants to sleep in bed with us. If we try to put him back in his crib he cries non-stop, but if we put him in bed with us then he is able to fall asleep. I don't mind having him in bed but my main concern is that I don't want him to become so accustomed to being there that he won't go to his crib when he gets older. Any advice or thoughts?

hudsonmommy

Asked by hudsonmommy at 10:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he's only 1.5 months? give him a paci & put him in his bed, he's too small to be dependant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You just do it, also don't put your son in his crib asleep, make sure he's somewhat awake. I know we all like rocking our kids to sleep, but some kids get so used to that, that they dont' fall asleep on their own, trust me, my BF daughter is almost 3, and she will NOT just go in her bed and fall asleep, she has to either fall asleep on her mom or by watching a movie
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Personally, I'd let him sleep with me. I guess you could wait until you're sure he's in a deep sleep before trying to put him in his crib.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Babies are biologically designed to be in constant body contact with you until they can voluntarily crawl off your lap. He wants to be in bed with you because it makes him feel safe. My 11 month old still co-sleeps and it's wonderful. I don't have to get up and go to another room to feed her, I just offer my breast and she goes back to sleep. I plan on co-sleeping until I have #2 on the way, and even beyond that if she has a really hard time transitioning to her own bed. This is normal newborn behavior, and I would just make it easier on him and me and just co sleep.

To the anon who said he's too young to be dependant... are you nuts?! Babies that young HAVE to be dependant! They wouldn'd survive if they weren't.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree, but only if you and your husband are not heavy sleepers I once thought my newborn was a pillow in my sleep she is fine but it took all my strength not too crush her in my dreaming state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Not sure. My 1.5 month old sleeps with me. I don't want him any place else. All my kids did and I had no issues with moving them when we were ready.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You might just have to be patient. I thought at 6 weeks my son would never sleep out of our bed. I just kept putting him in his bassinet at each nap until he finally took to it. Finally at 8 weeks he was sleeping in the bassinet and then at 4 months he was in his crib.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When my daughter was that age I would put her to sleep in her basinet next to the bed, but most of them time I would let her sleep with my after he first night feeding... it was just easier that way. But since she was used to falling asleep in her basinet, it was no problem once she slept through the night at about 3 months old. As long as she didn't wake up, she stayed in her bed. We moved her to her crib at about 5 months and she hasn't slept in bed with us since. I've tried to get her to take naps with me and she wont. She loves her bed!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 12:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Mama, that poor baby only wants to be near YOU! He spent 9 months in the womb, warm and cozy, hearing your heartbeat 24/7 and just because he was born now mama wants him to be away from her and in his own bed where he is alone :( He doesnt get it! Babies are designed to be close to mom, thats what they want, what they are used to! He is only a month and a half...cuddle him and let him sleep with you!
    Ive let all 3 of my kids sleep with me and no harm has ever come of it, my 7 year old is perfectly healthy and does extreemly well in school, my 3 year old decided he liked his own bed better at around 3 months and thats OK too, and my now 6 month old either sleeps with us or in his bassinet next to our bed....its OK to let baby sleep with you!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 2:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Just so no one thinks that my 7 year old still sleeps with us...she co slept with us until about 18 months and then transitioned into her own bed, it went pretty well, normal sleep struggles....just wanted to point out that there was no lasting damage to her sleeping with us, she is now 7 and doing great!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 2:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009