If I make french bread can I freeze the dough? (The recipe makes two loaves and I only use one.)

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes, you can freeze the dough. After it rises the first time form it into the loaf and wrap it in saran wrap and freeze. After it is solid, wrap it again in foil and label it. I take mine out of the freezer at night before bed and let it defrost in the refrigerator. Then I put it on the counter in the morning to warm up and rise. It will take a while because the dough will not rise when it is cold. Once it has risen, bake it as usual. I have been making dough and freezing it for years and it always comes out just fine. You can also freeze baked bread, but it takes up more room and can only be frozen for about 1 month.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Is it a sour dough recipe? I haven't had good results freezing sour dough dough. But regular yeast doughs.. I make a batch and freeze them already in rolls and ready to bake.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You could freeze the extra loaf. Breads do okay frozen, but the doughs don't.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you freeze the dough it can only be for up to 3 months. Allow it to completely thaw in the fridge before letting it come to the second raise. It should work out ok but it won't tast as good as the FRESHLY made bread.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 2:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Why don't you just halve the recipe, and make one loaf?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009