How do i get my 3year old to be potty trained when he already knows what do to do but just refusses to go?

my 3 year old knows how to go to the bathroom. he will just get up and say i have to go pee and go in and go. when i put on underwear he just pees in them. he is now pooping in his diaper and then going to the bathroom and dumping it in the toliet and comming out saying he pooped in the potty. HELP!!!

jomama357

Asked by jomama357 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you tried positive reinforcement? You could say...for every 5 times you go in the potty you get to...(fill in the blank) or something like that. But of course explain that he can't try to trick you anymore, and if he does those times don't count!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son is 4 1/2, and he knows what to do also, have been trying everything, and people just tell me it will happen when he's ready. Be encouraged mom with your 3 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• U really can't If you force him then he will likely resist. it's just like a waiting game. When he's ready trust me you will know. You could start him wearing underwear so he will understand the difference between going in a diaper/pull up and going in underwear. you might have accidents but he is going to more likely not want it on him.. Good Luck
    thatsme24

Answer by thatsme24 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a little boy that is going to be 3 in june he likes sitting on the toilet and goes when he needs to but he wants to put the diaper right back on. Its like his comfort blanket or something. He loves to go potty and have the cheers but I just cant get him away from those diapers. Its just going to take some time hope it works out for you.
    mpayne611

Answer by mpayne611 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• ok..here's the deal...he needs to be in control, so here is what I did with my 3&1/2yr old stepson after he moved in with us.. I was NOT willing to change a diaper on a kid that big anymore, so I bought him a 6 pack of white underwear, and I explained to him that we use the toilet, period. I told him that it was his choice now if he wanted to be clean or dirty, if he peed his pants he would have to change them, or if he pooped in them, he would have to clean up...or not, his choice, but I was done...and if he chose to be dirty, people wouldnt want to play with him..so the next day (Monday) I gave him underwear and helped him put them on...about 20 minutes later he looked me square in the eye and peed.. I ignored him, after about 5 minutes my husband came in and said, "Whew, something stinks!" I said, "Yeah, I know, I wonder what it is?"

shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Jay sat in his wet pants for a total of 20 minutes and then went and changed. I didnt say a word. It was his choice and once he made it, he stayed clean and dry. On Friday, I took him to Walmart to buy superhero underwear, and told him that superheros do not like to be peed on..He has been clean and dry ever since... It is a battle over control at this age.. He is comfortable with you taking care of his needs, and doesnt want to change, if you tell him no more, and he is big enough to do it himself..when he sees you mean business he will not want to stink and be wet.My oldest was PY at 18mos, my twins were 2yrs and 2.2yrs so I know it can be done!!

shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Put him in undies exclusively. It should only take a few days before he gets it. Don't go back to diapers no matter what!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Try making it fun for him....Like throw a bunch of cheerios in there and let him see how many he could get ;) OR try offering him M & M's after a successful potty or poop. That one worked for my sister!! :) Good luck!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 7:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2009