Is it ok to "spank" someone elses kid?

I recently started nannying these two kids(3 and 1). Five+ days a week 10+ hrs a day. Ok gig, nice money, but they are BRATS! I asked their mom what I can do for punishments. She told me what ever I see fit. I don't feel right spanking her kids like mine, they aren't mine. Even though I have them more then their own mom and dad. I gave the girl (3) a light tap on the hiny when she punched my kid, told her why she was naughty and stuck her in time out. I feel horrible about it though. She's a huge brat but I feel like swatting her was uncalled for, and I let my angry get the best of me.

But still my question is what is appropriate punishment for another persons kid?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• you are pretty much being asked to raise these kids while their parents are away, which is alot. i think the light spanking you did and explaining and time out was perfectly fine. just be sure you tell her mother what you did as soon as she gets home to be sure she is okay with it... and so she can help reinforce your authority while she is away. if the child knows her mom has given you full command and is okay with you spanking her, then she may try to straighten up her act.

i grew up in a small town where it was like the community as a whole raised the children. i didnt like it then bc i couldnt sneak around my parents bc the neighbors would tattle, but now i wish the whole world was like that... all the parents helping each other. bc god knows we cant be everywhere all the time.
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It all depends n the parents. Growing up, I was as likely to get a swat by my moms best friend as I was my own mom. My best friend and I have not been afraid to swat eachothers kids a time or. It has to be COMPLETELY understood and accepted by both parties. You can't just guess that it would be ok.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have never spanked someone else's kid and would never upset if someone spanked my son. But I'm always around, so there is no need for anyone else to discipline my child.

I think if I were in your case, I may. I try not to spank, but use it as a last resort punishment or when I feel its really necessary, like when my son has the cat pinned to the floor and is pulling ear.

I think you should sit down with the parents and really discuss discipline, because they need to be disciplined the same way for the same actions all the time. Otherwise you'll just be going circles and get no where. Good luck
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It's not something I would do unless the parent specifically said that spanking was ok... even then I can't imagine doing it, I just don't think I would. I very, very rarely even spank my own kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Not unless you have permission from the parents.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No I don't think so but I have had to correct my sisters kids a few times...lol I guess it's really up to the parents on how they want you to treat their kids. I would certainly ask first.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 11:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• That depends. I spank my nephew, but my sis doesn't care, that just means she doesn't have to do it. I had a father tell me one time, at a Cub Scout meeting, to feel free to whip his kids @ss. That I didn't feel comfortable with. He should have gotten off his fat @ss and disciplined his kid. You need to talk with the parents, and ask them how they want you to discipline their kids. Even still, you should find another way besides spanking.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would check again and ask the mom, sometimes things can get out of context, and accusations can occur.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I watched my BF's son last week with the help of my SO. We were given complete authority to punish how we saw fit. Once you threatened him with a spanking he straitened up. I think that spanking is okay as long as you and the parents are on the same page. Just let them know what you did and for what reason.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If they were in my care and not following my rules, HELL yes. I would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009