Do you and your husband have a joint account? Why or why not? Has it caused issues in your relationship?

My so and I are considering opening a joint account together. Most of our purchases and bills are for our combined lifestyle. We both think having a joint account is a sensible idea. What do you think? Do you have personal experience with having a joint account with your husband? Is it helpful or does it create more relationship strain than its worth?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 11:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• We have more than one joint account and we have our own accounts as well and no problems from any of it. We both make the money.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 11:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We have a joint one, and works for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes, we share accounts. I don't mind, he makes more money than I do......lol & i do whatever i want with OUR money, he never asks questions or puts any limitation on anything. Of course if it is a large expense, we have a talk to make sure all is OK with both of us. It works great for us, never had any problems.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It depends on the couple. Some husbands or wives are incredibly irresponsible and spend money when they shouldn't. In that case, a joint account will only cause problems.
    We have 3 accounts, none are joint but we use them jointly. One is just emergency fund money and something is deposited into it with every check.
    I think its important to know what your needs are and how both of you handle money, and then go from there.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We have had our joint account since I was 18, when we moved in together. It has caused absolutely NO problems in our relationship. It simplifies everything. But we don't feel like we need to split hairs about who pays for what. I could see it causing problems if you liked to know that each party was paying for half of everything, but if it doesn't matter to you guys then I'd just combine them. It makes for less hassle.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes, my husband and I have joint accounts. No problems for us. However, I would never get one with someone I wasn't married too. Too risky I think.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My husband and I didn't have a joint account for almost two years after being married. Mostly because of me. We went from strangers to spouses in two months, and he was deployed a year after being married. There were things that were good and bad. I hated if he overspent or was overdrawn on his account because I couldn't fix it since the account was in a different state. Other than that it wasnt a problem at all. When he got home we felt it was more prudent because he was gone so often to have a joint account. I think we both prefer it this way.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• DH and I have had joint accounts for the entire 28 years we've been married with no issues. However, my dumb@$$ son and his exwife should NEVER have had joint accounts. Neither would bother to write stuff in the register and they would acutally go by what the atm said their balance was and just spend, spend spend..right into bankruptcy.
    Joints accounts require trust and communication.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:37 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We have a joint checking account. The hardest part is getting him to write his expenses in the register- but with online banking it's easy for me to check and see what he's spent. We now have two registers, one that has misc. money in it, one that has our budget money in it. So if he wants to buy a gift (for example) he can flip to the gift section and see exactly how much is in there, and then he can spend up to that limit. Of course, he knows that if he spends it all on a gift for someone, there won't be as much in that category the next month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My husband and I share a joint account. He makes most of the money and I'd have to say he spends the majority of it as well but it works for us. It makes it easier for us to keep track of our spending that way. We each have our own credit cards though.
    Trajik003

Answer by Trajik003 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009