Why don't you want everyone to die?

I was talking to a woman the other day and she was telling me that she believed when you die you go to heaven. In her belief there is no pain or torment in heaven, it's a perfect place. She said that in heaven there is nothing but happiness.

So, my question to her was that if you really believe that way why do you grieve when someone dies? Isn't that just you being selfish. Wouldn't you want them to be dead, so that they can be in heaven with pure happiness, joy and perfection?

**She didn't answer me...

Can I have some views here?

Personally I don't believe in heaven or that we go there. I am a firm believer in reincarnation... But I wanted some opinions about this. Because to me it's circular thinking and makes no sence. You are sad when someone dies, you don't want them to die, but you believe they will be in heaven? Is that selfishness or proof that you don't really believe? Or something else? Elaborate Please?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm with you, actually. I believe we go to a collective soul to be reborn when we die. I'm not afraid of death. I miss my loved ones who have gone before me, and I get sad when I think that I will never see them in this life again, but I don't go overboard or anything. I fear losing my husband and my daughter because I would miss them so much. So I guess I'm kind of selfish, but it's only because I love them so much.

I have often wondered the same thing.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well it may be considered selfishness, but what is wrong with that? That is human nature, we grieve when we loose a loved one, no matter WHAT we believe happens to them after they pass. Having selfish thoughts or actions is not always a negative thing, sometimes it's beneficial.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:28 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I believe in heaven/the other side is wonderful and perfect etc....

I am sad that my father died because I miss him. I wish I could have one more day with him and have that time. The fact that he is in a better place doesn't take away the pain of the loss I feel in my life on earth. I don't think death is the worst thing that can happen but It all  comes down to the utter loss I have im my physical life when I lose someone I love.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The only way to get in to heaven is repenting of sin, ask Jesus in your life as Lord. Everyone has their own belief, but God's word doesn't lie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You are sad when someone dies, you don't want them to die,

You are sad because you will miss them, and miss their companionship

but you believe they will be in heaven?

I'm not sure where people go after they die. Its a nice thought this "heaven" and I guess it makes some people feel better....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Even Jesus grieved and cried when his friends died. God never intended for people to die.
    death is sad, even if the person goes to heaven, their friends and families miss them here. There is often suffering pain when people die- that is something to grieve, too.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm with that lady, you die and go to heaven for eternal happiness. BUT we grieve because we are selfish. True that person is probably far better in heaven than here with me, but damn it I want that person here with me.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It will soon be a year that my mom passed away... do i miss her... oh yeah... alot... however, when we had her services we celebrated her life because i know i will see her again in heaven. The services were truly a celebration. When she was in the hospital I asked her what she wanted to do.... the doctor had already told us her time was very limited... days and hours.. so we had a decision to make, feeding tube and keep fighting or let her go... I made a very hard decision and asked her.. was she ready to go home (Heaven).. an awesome peace came across her face and for the moment that she needed to... she looked at me in the eye and said yes. Her focus then went back to an area of the hospital room that seemed to give her peace and I truly believe there were angels in the room with her. So, no I didn't grieve.... but I do miss her... but I'll also see her again.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I want everyone to find God before they die. I don't want them to die before that,nor do I want them to die when they find God. A life with God in your heart is such a joyful experience! Everyday is new and wonderful! I feel his love pulsing through my body, and most the time it feels like I could explode from it. Heaven is great,but life can be fun too. We have our family and friends. Lets not forget the joys of being a parent, and wife. I look forward to dieing instead of dreading it b/c then I know that I will finally see God and heaven. Do I want to rush it? No,but I would not complain. Life on earth is temporary,I am looking forward to my ever lasting life.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think it has something to do with, too, that this life does serve a purpose, and, as imperfect as it can be (especially in comparison to heaven), it is also a blessing. IMO, it helps us to form a relationship with God that we would otherwise not have, helps us to appreciate Him in a way we might not know to if all we've known is perfection, kwim? I believe that this life, is a good thing, yes, but that it also makes the perfection of heaven that much greater in comparison. And the bonds and ties that we make in this life, I believe they serve a purpose, teach us unconditional love and self-sacrifice for those we care about. There is much to get out of this life, so much that I wouldn't want to skip forward and miss it just to get to heaven a little faster - heaven is eternal, we should enjoy the time we have here, its limited. (i also believe everyone goes to heaven, no hell)
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2009