New Bed for 3 year old or baby?

My 3 year old has a convertable crib- which he now uses as the toddler bed - he CAN use it up to a twin bed. My question for all of you moms with more than one- now that i have baby #2 on the way, so I just get the baby a new convertable crib or do I get a new twin bed for my son? I am not going to buy him a theme bed- I am too cheap for that! :)

jessicasea

Asked by jessicasea at 11:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would buy a regular crib and then you can sell it when you are done and then get a trundle or bunk bed for when they are older. That's if they share a room. If they have separate rooms get a convertible.
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 11:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I honestly would buy a twin bed for your 3 year old. Then you don't have to buy another bed for a while. That is what were going to do when we have a second. We are going to buy my son a captains bed and then use the crib and dresser for the baby. Just seems more practical to do it that way to me. Then I only have to buy the bed and not another dresser. :)
    booboosmom233

Answer by booboosmom233 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When we were in this situation, we moved our 3 year old into a twin "big girl" bed and used the crib for the baby. We figured we'd need the twin anyway and you only use the crib for a little while. Either way, you'll spend the same amount of money! Beds are not cheap...yikes!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would go ahead and move your 3-year-old into a twin bed and put the baby in the convertible crib. It will make him feel like a big boy to give the baby his old (little) bed, and you won't be buying yet another crib that you'll eventually have to get rid of.
    napoli

Answer by napoli at 12:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i don't have 2 kids, but I would definitely just move the 3 year old into a twin bed. There really is no point in buying another crib if eventually the 3 year old will eventually grow enough to not use the bed. Also it does save money especially when convertible beds are pretty expensive. get the use out of it while you can
    thatsme24

Answer by thatsme24 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I always went to the twin bed, they are more expensive sometimes but that is eventually where he is going to wind up anyway.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I vote for new bed for three year old.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My 10 y/o went into a toddler bed when I was pregnant with his little brother (he was 2 at the time). My MIL bought it as a surprise for me (I love that woman!) so I didn't have to worry about so many things (new baby was going to make 4 boys). Fastforward a few years and baby is getting bigger (born big to begin with - 10lbs) and older brother, too. So, we skipped the toddler bed for the youngest and bought both of the little ones a bunk bed set. Oldest on top, youngest on bottom. They love it! It's just like their older brothers' bunk beds - heavy duty metal frames!  Positively BOY PROOF!

Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• my 3 year old has got a proper bed
    MommaandStepMom

Answer by MommaandStepMom at 4:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would get a twin bed and say it's from his new sibling or go on craigslist.com and get one like we got for the boys (Fire Engine and Train). Both were under $50. I would get bunk beds until both kids are much much older.
    Crystal2451

Answer by Crystal2451 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009