what can i do about seperation anxienty?

My daughter is 11 months old. She does fine when she has a babysitter, or has to stay the night at grandma's house, but her dad and I cannot leave the room without her crying. And she does not stop until we come back or play with her. I have been told this can be normal, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Does anybody else have this problem, and if so, are there any ideas on what I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yea that's common, even my son did that, and he never had stranger anxiety or a problem when we left him wiht a sitter. I would finish doing what I was doing, wheter he was crying or not and when I came back I wouldn't "coddle" him any extra, did the same with my daughter and it worked
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:57 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have that with my daughter, I just have to cut the string in a sense. As long as she/he is with a responsible person, and caring one as well. Then they will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• brothers and sisters help
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• yeah my 20 month old statred doing the same thing and I still haven't found a way to stop it. I mean he even cries when we are watching TV in bed and I get up to turn off the lights. Plz let me know if you find a solution..
    VERONICACP

Answer by VERONICACP at 12:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When you leave, reassure her that you will be back after a little while, the leave and DO NOT come back. By coming back, you're showing her that crying for you works to bring you back to her, and she'll get more upset and try even harder the next time to get you to come back.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 12:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son does this sometimes, not often but sometimes. I just go and do what I need to do, then come back and try to get him to laugh. Like I said, he really doesn't have this issue, but that is what I do when it happens.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009