Can a Family in America survive with the federal minimum wage of $6.55 per hour?

Can a family survive in America earning the minimum wage?
The federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour effective July 24, 2008.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Minimum wage is not meant to support a family.  But the idea of progressing from min wage to better wages isn't true either.  Once upon a time we were told, "go to school, go to college, work hard, and you will have a wonderful life."  So we went to school, went to college and got degreed, ended up with $70,000 in student loan debt.  Work hard at whatever job we could get which ended up not being in our degreed field and paid barely above min wage.  End result, worthless piece of paper, large debt, unsatisfactory job not making enough money to go back to school or move where there are better jobs.  Drive a car nearing 20 years old.  And I haven't even talked about housing....Not saying I know the answer b/c I don't, but I do know the problems.

Anonymous

• Depends on the size of the family
    Anonymous

• Unless the parents are working two jobs each. There is no way a family could survive on that.
    Anonymous

• If they live on a teepee on their own land.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Wow.... you read my mind...... The same people that want welfare reduced and wonder why people aren't out there trying harder.
    The first minimum wage increase in 10 years takes went from $5.85 from $5.15 an hour, with two more steps over the next two years taking base pay for millions of workers to $7.25.

An increase in the federal minimum wage casued lengthy battles between Democrats in Congress and President Bush and Senate Republicans.

While CEO's of companies salaries went through the roof, minimum wages stood still.
    So much for the trickle down effect. People at the top were getting tax breaks....Its a disgrace!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 12:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The new fiscal year starts on July 1, 2009 the new minimum wage will be 7.25 still not enough!
    Anonymous

• And there you have it. Grandamarga said it all for me at least.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes you can and we are living proof of it :D Want a break down of the expenses?

$1135 monthly income 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. If we miss a day, we make it up.

$400 Rent (2 bedrooms 1 1/2 bathroom.)
    $150 Utilities
    $150 Food and diapers
    $80 Internet and phone bill
    $70 Charity
    $50 Fuel
    $50 Car insurance
    $50 Student Loan Payment
    $30 Savings

$50 Bulk foods
    $40 Car repair (and saving up for a "new" used car.)
    $5 Entertainment
    $5 Birthdays/Christmas
    $5 Misc. expenses
    Anonymous

• My dh makes nearly $20 an hour, and that's STILL not enough for us! It's unreal that the min is soooo low!
    Anonymous

• anon 12:18

wow $150 in food and diapers = $5 a day. I don't know how you do it buy good for you!
    Anonymous