17mo hitting & throwing

My 17mo old daughter is at an in home daycare. About 2mo ago another child entered the daycare & was hitting. Now my daughter is hitting & throwing things @ me & other children. What is an approach that has worked for others to get their child to stop. I am consistant in telling her no & try to explain that this hurts. If she continues I put her in time out, but I don't know that she truely understands time out.

chaster

Asked by chaster at 12:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 17 months old and he DOES understand time outs. You have to be stern and consistant. I know it would be hard with an in home daycare but we do the 2 chance rule with our son. 1 tiime could have been an accident and the second time was on purpose so time out. We haven't used it very much - maybe 4 times total so far but the other day I took something away from him and he went over there and sat down, then looked at me and said All done, because I always tell him ,ok time out is all done and explain why I put him there. They DO understand at this age.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• she proabably won't understand time outs or lecturing. she will understand good behavoir. Like taking her hand and showing her how to behave... like saying "gentle" and showing her how to be gentle eachtime she hits etc. children do these things for many reasons.... one to see what happens... out of pure curiosity, another because of frustratiion and trying to find a way to belong, another to test you... si many reasons. Try and see what was gong on that may have caused her to react that way for that situation and act appropriately. Maybe she wanted your attention and didn't know how to get it in a positive way. but a good way to deal I have always learned was to always redirect and replace the bad behavoir with good behavoir through example and literally showing them step by step. this is a great opportunity to teach you child how to bahave.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would use the following time out technique and ask the day care provider to do the same:
    for hitting: say to her "no hitting" then hold her in your lap facing away from you for as close to a minute and a half as you can get then repeat "no hitting" give her a hug/kiss and move on.

For throwing say to her "no throwing, pick that up" and if she doesn't pick it up, physically help her pick it up by placing your hand over hers. If need be, take the item away for a little while. If she's throwing things AT people, do time out first and then have her pick up the item.
    Catch her doing good. Specific, positive reinforcement goes a long, long, way so praise her when she IS behaving and playing nicely at home and with other children.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2009