• In the Spotlight:

My two year old is almost mean!

I know that sounds horrible but all of the sudden he has started just being out of control! I run a small in home daycare and I feel like I can't turn my back for a minute. He bites any chance he gets( he is

mandarene

Asked by mandarene at 12:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Where is dad? spank him! Never with your hand though and not in front of other kids ,make sure to hug after.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he is attention seeking. Discipline him but make sure you give him special attention when the other children are out of your home.
    chaster

Answer by chaster at 12:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• His dad is at work.  It's not much better when he is home though.  I feel like he runs the house and I hate that feeling of total chos.  I don't want to spank (I think that will just make him more upset and want to do it more).  I don't want to bite him back either.  I just want to know how I  can make a better routine or something.

mandarene

Answer by mandarene at 12:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My only and best ( and worse) advice would be to let one of the other kids you watch bite him back. Of course don't tell them to do it, and give them the no no no after, but if you see its gonna happen, let it happen. Biting is a VERY VERY effective way for a child to get his way quickly, either from another child or even an adult. Don't spank him or bite him back, just keep up with the no no no's. Two year olds are hard to handle sometimes. It's not that he's mean, it's that he has learned (what a smart kid!) that if he wants a toy, and he bites the kid who has it, the kid gives it up instantly. Good luck honey!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son started biting me at like 16 months but he only did for about a week he thought it was funny and i would say NO ! and quit playing with him for a min , and he finally quit doing it. I also think he liked doing it because he was teething...
    masonsmommii

Answer by masonsmommii at 12:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Spanking is not an effective form of discipline. I wouldn't recommend biting him back either. Instead, put him in time out. Say to him "I'm putting you in time out for biting. No biting" walk away and set a timer for two minutes. If he gets up, put him back. Consistency is key. At the end of the two minutes repeat "no biting" then give him a hug/kiss and move on.
    I'm sure a lot of it has to do with him looking for attention from you. (My twins will always do something naughty if they feel like I"m not paying enough attention to them.)
    Catch him doing good. Specific, positive reinforcement when he is behaving goes a long, long way.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009