Will my milk supply dry up?

If my son sleeps through the night and I do not wake up to pump will my milk supply dry up. I still plan on breast feeding during the day. He is 5 months old.

J.P

Asked by J.P at 12:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No. Even after you stop feeding completely your milk doesn't dry up quickly. After I was through breastfeeding, a month later I could still get milk out. As long as you're feeding at least 4 times a day you won't have any trouble with supply. My sister-in-law still BF just once at day (before bedtime) for the last 3 months of breastfeeding and even with just the one feeding a day she didn't dry up.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No. It will adjust to what the demand is.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you have had supply issues it might. If not then most likely no. I work and quit pumping for my daughter when she was about 13 months old. I still nurse while home and I have no problems with my supply and she is now 22 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Nope, your body will adjust to it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No, it will just adjust to more milk during the day and less at night. That's very normal. Congrats on your baby sleeping through the night! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Nope... just get some sleep! If your baby needs more during the day he'll just nurse more frequently so your daytime supply will increase. Aren't our bodies amazing!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009