want to find out how difficult it is to do an adoption that has to be done with an interstate transfer compact

naynay4984

Asked by naynay4984 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Adoption

• It is common actually so I wouldnt worry too much. Some states require more than others and you will likely need to have an attny in both states. Some states require additional paperwork and have restrictions on your home study (in some it cant be more than 6 months old). The biggest expense/issue is that you can't leave the state til your paperwork is done and I have heard that being as short as 2 days and has long as a month.
    Anonymous

• We have completed 2 adoptions with ICPC. Each time, the child's birth state required one more additional piece of information to be added to the homestudy. ICPC required an additional $2000 for each adoption.
    The waiting in the child's birth state is the hardest part of it. Our first adoption, we were able to stay with my husband's mother and baby's grandmother. Our 2nd adoption, we were out of state for 3 weeks with a newborn and 19 month old. It was crazy!!!
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 9:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It wasn't difficult. But we did have to wait extra days until it came through before we could leave the state and head home for our state. It took about three weeks from the time it was petitioned for until the time it was granted. Time varies. So the cost of staying some place can add up. But of course that can get included as adoption related expenses for tax time. Save your receits for food, hotel, and gas. Everything. It all adds up and it can all go toward the adoption credit.
    Anonymous

• We did interstate compact for two of our adopted children, and it took forever and was expensive. Also, different states require different paperwork and regulations. Good Luck!
    mom50211

Answer by mom50211 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don't remember it being all that expensive. I think that it was just included as part of the lawyer fees. I am postive that it was broken down in the fee. The fee was the fee...can't change that. But the wait was expensive. Trying to find creative ways to stay in a place for several weeks - if you know that is the case - is what I would do if I had to do it all over again. I would look at churches or other organizations that might beable to donate to the cause or someone who knows someone (its a small world) who would let us stay in their rental home or home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My adoption was an interstate adoption...I do not remember any of the fees if there were any..
    All I remember was that we had to wait until we could leave the state...We had to wait 48 hours after rights were terminated and when our lawyer called we headed home.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009