How can you tell when self ~LoVe is either good for you or harmful to you?

There are two types of self- love. Do you know the difference?

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • You're right. I have a widget on my page that pretty well sums it up for me. It says:"Be more concerned with what God thinks of you than what other people think of you." If we quit worrying about what others think, to the point of jumping on a bashing bandwagon, and focus mainly on what God thinks of us,and just on making ourselves the best we can be in Him, we will be much happier,and cannot help but love ourselves, and others unselfishly, and unconditionally, just the way He loves us.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• if it is making you happier than your hubby.not good.
    Anonymous

• you mean like being narcissistic?

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I mean anything that either helps you find self esteem or self worth.
    What are the bad ways to find them and what are the good ways to find them.
    God bless.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I read the two types of self love is : one gives and one takes. With that being the case, when there isn't a balance of the two I would think then it could be harmful.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Altruism and egoism
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Genuine LOVE (of ones self or others) is never the cause of anything negative. Self-love, in its truest form, has a soley positive effect on ones self and that consequently has a positive effect on those around that person.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think we all have to love ourselves a little to be healthy - without that form of self love, we can't even begin to know love for others (I am speaking from experience).

When it becomes harmful is when it becomes over the top and extreme - for example, the woman that believes she deserves to gain everything without lifting a finger to work for it - that's taking it to the extreme. Or a teenager that looks at herself in the mirror and believes she is God's gift to the world, and treats others badly because she doesn't feel they are worthy of her acceptance.

I have known people like this in my life - these are the people that exhibit a more harmful form of self love.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think its becomes harmful when you rate your self worth by others opinions, and by the things you own.

I think its great if you can accept and love yourself the way you are, and be happy with what you do have.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The bible says to love your neighbor as yourself. Makes you wonder what a lot of folks think of themselves, doesn't it? We have to love ourselves to know how to love others. Self love is the beginning of all love and it is a good thing.
    Anonymous