worried about the answer i got.....

i saw on a earlier post about credit reports and i thought i would check it out and i did and they said i had an existing morgage....i have NEVER had a loan for anything in my life!!! NOTHING!!!!! what could this mean and what should i do???? plz help!

busymamma503

Asked by busymamma503 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• where did you check it at?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• checked it at www.annualcreditreport.com

it said i needed to choose which credit i wanted a report from and i chose one and then it poped up and said they wanted to make sure it was me so they said i had an existing mortgage and wanted to know which bank it was through and then wanted to know what my existing payment per month was and it said they were asking these questions because only i would know the answers!!!!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• investigate further.... when I was 18 I went to get electric hooked up for my first rental house and I was turned down for service because of my credit report. Turns out someone else was using my SS #! I got it all worked out, though it took a lot of phone calls and I had to fill out some paperwork disputing the report.

This may be a simple error somewhere in the system that will be easily fixed, so don't freak out or anything just yet. Kinda like a few years ago when the IRS showed up at my home unannounced to audit me! They had an error in the computer that showed that I had $105,000 MORE income than I had reported for 2003! It was quickly fixed with one phone call, and I haven't heard back from the IRS since then.

Good Luck to you...

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• "it said i needed to choose which credit i wanted a report from and i chose one and then it poped up and said they wanted to make sure it was me so they said i had an existing mortgage and wanted to know which bank it was through and then wanted to know what my existing payment per month was and it said they were asking these questions because only i would know the answers!!!!"

maybe it was a trick question?? Like you said only YOU know if you have a mortgage or not, so the correct answer would be "No" to that question.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i just wouldn't know where to start! i mean i could go to the bank maybe and have them pull up my credit report but how would they know that it really wasn't me?
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• no it wasn't....it was totally serious...the only answer was none of the above and i answered none of the above to both questions and it said they couldn't give me a report then.
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• call social security and make sure that no one else is using your soc #. I had someone in Seattle using my soc to get TV and phone service. Of course they didn't pay there bill. So when they looked up the soc, it had my address associated with it, so i got the bills. I had to report it to the local police dept, soc security, and have credit checks done. If you go to equifax they will do a credit check with 3 different companys, and give you the results. Hope this helps, just a heads up.
    casd

Answer by casd at 12:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Go to your bank, explain the situation and they will be able to advise you from there. I'm sure that they would be able to check your credit and everything right there.. and if something does show up they can help you I'm sure.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes, I agree with PP.... I believe those were all the same things I had to do back when I was 18 and had someone using my SS#.

Start with the SS office....
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• thank you all so much! hope i get this figured out and hope it isn't too bad to fix!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2009