When can I start giving my daughter Apple juice? Or any kind of baby juices..she is 5 months now and is eating baby foods. And its so hot that I hate giving her just water and milk (eww gross)..

madysmommy1126

Asked by madysmommy1126 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• youre giving your 5 month old milk? or formula?? youre not supposed to give a baby milk til they are one years old... anyway you can start to give your baby juice now, i think 6 months is the general age but i started with my son when he could hold a bottle by himself. i gave him 1oz water with 1oz apply juice and by the time he was walking (10 months) he was getting 6-8oz juice cups, still 1/2 watered down...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 12:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• She shouldn't be on milk yet. If you do mean formula, that's all she needs. She doesn't need extra water or juice. If you mean breast milk, the same holds true..no need for extra water.

However, check with the pediatrician to see what he recommends considering the location where you live.

Juice isn't a necessity at all, really. However, it's usually not recommended to be given until 6 months and then, watered down.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon completely.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i always started with juice once they started on solids-- watered down-- i know all they need is formula at this point still, but when its 80* out, in my head, it probably tastes better than the formula (jmo)
    Anonymous

• I would HATE to only drink formula/breast milk in the warm weather. It gets 115+ here in the summer. I give my daughter about 1 oz juice mixed with 1 oz water in a sippy cup (not a bottle!) every few days, and when it gets warmer I plan to give her more if I feel it is needed. She is 7 months old and I think we gave her juice around 5 months but not very often.

Talk to your pediatrician, and listen to your mommy instinct about it. Like I said, warm weather needs cool drinks =) IMO
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• First, juice isn't necessary. It's empty calories, and it doesn't provide anything but maybe vitamin C. You shouldn't be giving a baby under 12 months milk, unless you mean breast milk or formula. Water isn't recommended before 6 months, and even then, only 1-4 ounces. If you DO decide to give your baby juice, it should be at least watered down 50/50, but you can even do 2/3 water and 1/3 juice. Just keep the total fluid intake (aside from formula or breastmilk) limited to 1-4 ounces. If it's getting warm/hot where you live, you can lean more toward that 4 ounce amount, but you don't want your baby to fill up on that and then not eat enough formula or breastmilk.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Give plenty of water. Very limited juice (as said above, very diluted), if you absolutely feel its necessary, after 6 months. Formula IS necessary at this age, and it's not gross for your baby. It's what she needs! Babies don't have the same preferences we do... of course we wouldn't want to drink formula in the heat. But it's your baby's most basic form of nutrition.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son loves his sippy cup and juice! He gets a sippy cup of diluted juice, I give him white grape, or the banana strawberry. I try to avoid apple because of the acid in it ( diarreah eww), and he loves it!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2009