5 yo with sore butt

My 5yo son has been complaining of a sore butt. He doesn't even want to sit at the table. He has always had sensitive skin & I notice that he is red around his rectum. What could this be? I don't think he is being abused. I haven't noticed any tears or bleeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask him about his pooping. If it's hard for him to poop, that could be it. Or if he has diarreha (sorry, I'm sure I didn't spell that right, but you know what I mean) that could also cause it to hurt. Either way, you could try putting a little vaseline or diaper rash cream (if you have some) on it to help. Be sure he is not being abused, too. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree with the above message check on how his BMs are doing. when my son complains it usually is that he didn't clean himself well enough. when this happen and were out I take him to the restroom to use a babywipe or I wet a paper towel to give him a once over, if were at home I put him in the tub.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 2:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Other than what the two other posters said, there is also a type of illness out there where kids butts hurt and it has something to do with worms. I wonder if this is called Ring Worm? Not sure, but my good friends son has had it (he's 4) ... I would make an appt. to see his pediatrician.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The above poster's thing is pinworms - that makes it itch I believe, not sore, but take a look online for pinworm symptoms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2009