Heaven's "happiness..."

A while ago I was reading a question that asked if - if your child went to Hell, could you be happy in Heaven?
Many people answered that yes, they would, because once in Heaven, we forget our life on Earth.

If we just forget our life on Earth, what is the point of even being here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's the dangerous part of belief in an afterlife. It makes this life seem less important.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Good Question!!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• EXCELLENT question...but I figure the spiritually correct answer is to help guide others.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Aahhh! All this is a bunch of hogwash. If you're a good person and you go to Heaven, then it's most usual that your kids follow suit. What is very unusual is that I have ancestors in Ireland: a mother named Ann White who was considered a witch and her son, Edmund Ignatious Rice who
    started the Jesuit order and became a saint. Do you think a saint's mother should go to Hell because she was a Healer. I don't think so. All this Heaven and Hell stuff is hogwash. I think if someone supposedly goes to Hell what actually happens is they get reincarnated and begin life on earth all over again. Tip: watch Little Nicky, the movie, it's funnier than Hell.
    cheeky927

Answer by cheeky927 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• That's a great question, and one that I'm not certain I can answer . . .

See, the point of heaven is that there IS no sadness there, so with that aspect in mind, it would be impossible to feel sad that someone wasn't there.

On the other hand, I was also taught that we would not recognize each other in heaven, so really we'd kinda be oblivious to what was going on.

So on that note, what's the point of being here? I can say with full honesty that I just don't know. I like to think that we are here for a greater purpose. What is that purpose? Well, I don't know that either. I think it's different for each person. My purpose is to be a nurturer to my children and my husband, and to sing God's graces whenever I can.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have faith that my children will not go to hell,b/c I arm them with the knowledge they need in order to stay on the right path. Even if they get off track in life. I will always be here to help them get on the right path however many times they need me to. I will never give up on my children, just like I will never give up on anyone else. I have faith that people will find their way to the truth either willingly or unwillingly. Of course I know at the end of the Bible there are people that would die with their personal opinions no matter what, but they will still see judgement day and be judged just like the rest of us.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Out of curiosity, which religions teach that we won't know each other in Heaven?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• THIS question isn't about whether or not your children are going to Hell. Or whether or not people find "the truth."

This question asks what the purpose of our life here on Earth is if we just forget it all once we get to Heaven.

And what about Hell? Do we forget our life on Earth when we go to Hell, also? If so, don't you think it's kind of bogus that we are being punished for doing things we don't even remember?
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:45, lol! Good point about what would be the point of Hell if we didn't remember what we did?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• So those of you that don't believe in an afterlife believe this is all there is? How miserable a thought is that!
    Anonymous