Marriage question . . . God's views on remarriage.

Here's a thought. I know many people that believe that if you re-marry, God doesn't see your new marriage as valid, and only recognizes your first marriage. But what if you married the wrong person to begin with?

My DH was absolutely miserable in his first marriage. She was a drama queen, verbally abusive, a drug addict (we didn't find that out until recently) and eventually left him for another man.

I prayed for years for God to send me the one He wanted me to be with, and when I met DH I knew that this was the man God sent to me. We are truly in love, and happier than either of us have ever been in our lives. If God wouldn't recognize our marriage as valid, do you think that we would have this love and this happiness?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is one reason I feel the Bible was not written by God. I respect what it has to say but I take it with a grain of salt.

If you are truly unhappy in your marriage and need to get out of it even without the "OK" reasons, then I know God would want you to be happy and enjoying life. People can RUIN their lives with the Bible;trying to figure out what is OK and what isn't. God intended this life to be a journey of love and life. MANY things hinder that and need to be changed. Marriage is just one of many. For me, the song Bless The Broken Road by Rascal Flats sums it up nicely for me. Everything (even the negative) eventually leads to the correct path. Sometimes with the Bible, sometimes not but I think the important thing to remember is to much emphasis on something can usually cloud the real meaning. ( I wasn't referring to anyone specific BTW)

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• She left him for another man. That frees him to remarry a Christian woman.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• From what I have read in the Bible, only death of a spouse frees one to remarry and that marrying a divorced person causes both parties to be comitting adultery.
    BUT I also believe God is bigger that our finite beliefs and thoughts and He is full of Grace and Mercy.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think a lot of God's rules are silly and don't take into account the human condition. That one included.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It was always my understanding that adultery is the "get of jail free card" when it comes to Christian marriage; so, in that regard, I feel that makes this marriage "count' according to God. But, in all honesty I don't think your happiness is dependant on or inherently the result of God's approval of it. Not saying God didn't answer your prayer, just that even if he didn't your relationship is good regardless. Also, I personally believe God would be ecstatic that you have a wonderful relationship, but that's just me.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Wow I never knew that ..I am not religious...but I do belive in God ...or something..
    I am divorced and getting married again..now I am really confused about
    GOD..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• She left him. He was faithful to her so the sin is not on his part.

I know a young man in our church, Godly young man. He got married when they were in their early 20's. They looked like the perfect couple and he was very happy. She started out happy, but within the first year she decided she was bored with marriage and left him. He has remarried and they have two beautiful daughters. They are happy and doing very well. I believe God gave Tony his wife and girls.

From my reading of Scripture, especially in the gosples, the only conditions for divorce are death or adultry. But the fact is God doesn't hold one person responsible for the actions of another. Your SO was not the one disobeying God's laws. So a just God isn't going to punish him or you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Divorce is only permissible in God's eyes if there is unfaithfulness involved. Other wise as it explains in the Bible it is impossible to divorce because when a man and a woman marry they become one. If they divorce without adultery being their reasons then they both commit adultery even if they remarry to someone else right afterwards. If they do not remarry, they not only commit adultery, but anyone who sleeps or lusts after them is also committing adultery.

Since we know adultery is a sin, we know that God will forgive it as long as you repent, and have Jesus in your heart.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• This raises another point, though.

What about in cases of abuse where the woman is beaten within an inch of her life?
    Is she not permitted happiness and safety because she married the "wrong man"?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Gosh, who is making up all these rules? If you are happy with your new beau, you are on Heaven's side The end. Maureen
    cheeky927

Answer by cheeky927 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2009