I have a little boy who will be 3 in june and he throws real bad tantrums what do I do?

mpayne611

Asked by mpayne611 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am pregnant with my first child but i baby sit alot. I this were me I would let him finish his tantrums and then when he's done give him a time out and explain to him why you gave him a time out.
    apollania

Answer by apollania at 1:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• whatever you do do not encourage tantrums by giving in. also encourage positive communication and respect by having him use words like pleaser and thank you when he wants something. give lots of encouragement and praise for when he does somnething good or is trying to do something good. read the book "positve discipline" its wonderful!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Ignore him. Let him realize tantrums do not get your attention. When he stops the tantrum, reward his positive behavior. Help teach him more productive ways to get noticed.
    chaster

Answer by chaster at 1:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Leave him where ever he is having his fit...
    My dd started her around that age (she is 5 now)
    they are doing it for attention or because they did not get what they want..
    trust me on this one... my dd pulled on lastnight in the bathroom..we left her there and when
    she was done (which was maybe 1 1/2 minutes later) she came out..
    Don't give in...or you will create
    a
    Monster!!!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Make sure he's safe and ignore him. If you have to, walk away. Once he sees the tantrums aren't getting him any kind of reaction, he'll stop.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• tell him calmly you do not allow this kind of behavior and then leave him there to work it out and dont give in. When he has calmed down explain to him that tantrums make things worse, and send him to time out (3 yrs old= 3 minutes) then after time out drop the subject completely but tell him you love him and give him a hug. It works for my 2 yr old DD.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 2:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I take my daughter to her "cool down" spot. She can pitch her fit for as long as she wants but she has to stay there - no toys, no TV, no talking from me. Once she is calm, I take her in my lap and talk about how she was feeling and why...
    Example:
    I know you were angry when mommy took the scissors away.
    Scissors are for cutting paper only. We don't cut the dog's fur with scissors. Scissors can hurt the dog.
    Let's brush the dog instead.
    Then spend a few minutes in the new activity to reward the calm behavior.

Remember, that he has every right to feel whatever he is feeling - anger, frustration, etc. He has to learn to deal with these powerful emotions. By staying in sight, you reassure him that you are there to help if needed but by ignoring him, you are not reinforcing the behavior. Even trying to talk him out of it will reinforce the tantrum. So will yelling and spanking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009