When you are in labor, when is the best time to get a epidural , so that you won't feel any pain when you are having your baby

Tslove23

Asked by Tslove23 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• let it go as long as you can cause it will slow labor down....
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well as soon as you arrive to the hospital let them know you want one.
    Before you can get one they have to get you set up, call the doctor that does it and have them set up.
    It took about 45 minutes before I got mine and they started setting up as soon as I got there.
    Let them know so you don't end up running out of time and not able to get one lol.
    I got mine 10 minutes before I had to start pushing so I lucked out!!
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 1:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• But I was 6 cm dilated when I got there,
    and 9 after I got it.
    I was dilating fast so it might depend on that too.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 1:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Don't wait too late because I went as long as I could and I didn't get an epidural. They told me no bu I eneded up having to have an emergency C-Section so they put me to sleep anyways.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 1:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Epidurals do not always relieve all of the pain (or even most of it in my case).

Most hospitals want you to go to at least 5 centimeters (and there is quite a lot of pain involved in getting there) before giving it to you so that it does not cause complications with your labor.

Try to go as long as you can. We as women have convinced ourselves that labor isn't something we can do on our own anymore. You can do it, educate yourself about labor so that anxiety isn't making the pain worse. See, for your child's sake, if you can go without it. Unless you're 10cm and the baby is coming out NOW, you can ask for an epidural at any time. So knowing that, go as long as you can.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• who needs them? i had both my kids natural.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt wait to long cuz you kinda need to feel a little bit at the end it helps you to push.With my first I coulndt feel anything and I pushed forever.
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would say wait as long as possible. As long as you can stand it. That way it doesn't slow labor down quite so much.
    That way, you hopefully won't get much Pitocin.
    Pitocin is really hard on babies, and causes a lot of c-sections.
    It is way too hard on babies!
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had my kids natural. But I was told that after you get past 6 cm you can't have one.........
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you get one too early it can stall labor. If you wait too long you can't get one. And an unfortunate truth about epidurals is that they're not a guarantee that you won't feel pain. Sometimes they only half-take and you can feel pain in half your body.

I'd recommend reading up on natural pain relief methods and waiting until you're at least 5CM. Also ask for a walking epidural so that you can continue to move around, since moving lowers the risk of a c-section (recovery is painful)

If your epidural doesn't work the first time, don't be afraid to ask the anesthesiologist to re-do it.

Personally, I skipped it because the side effects sounded more scary than labor pain. :)
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 2:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009