Would you have let this man into your church?

He is be very scruffy, with long scraggly hair and a long scraggly beard. He is dressed in a holey (not to be confused with HOLY, LOL) t-shirt over a dirty long-john shirt. His jeans are too big, and held up with rope. They're filthy and have torn pockets and holes through them. His jacket would be slightly too small, and dirty and dusty. He would wear no shoes on his feet.

When you see him, your first thought is, "Another homeless person?" He walks up to you. You immediately recoil from the stench that imminates from his clothes, his body, and his breath. He looks at the doors of your church and asks, "can I go in there?" You notice he is missing several teeth, and the ones that are left are black with rot.

Would you allow this man to join you in church service?
Answer honestly - don't say what you think you SHOULD do, but what you WOULD do.
(second part of this question will follow later this afternoon)

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It would be hypocritical of a church to send anyone away. Not a single one of us is perfect, and only God can judge anyone's heart or situation, as He is the only one Who knows and understands it completely, as well as being the only one Who can do so objectively and without personal bias.
    And then there is the fact that the church should be available to all who come, because God is available to all, and it is the church's job to help lead someone to God - if someone is reaching for Him who are we to deter that, to interfere negatively? It is our responsibility to help them, to encourage them, because we are not what you see - we are all children of God with potential to better ourselves. Its all a matter of helping each other along the way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You're not supposed to judge
    Anonymous

• OF COURSE!!!!! I can't imagine how anyone could turn him away.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The church I attend welcomes anyone, they have security people, for being a big church. If the person is a threat to someone or themself, they would have to be removed for safety reasons.
    Anonymous

• I would welcome him into church. We are ALL God's children.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes. I know a person like this. He has a mental disorder of some sort. He is not homeless, but what he owns has no running water, heat, windows, etc. It's a shack of a house. He has no money. He wanders around the community within a few towns. Every once in a while he'll go into my friends restaurant, and he always gives him a free lunch. I'm assuming others do the same. I have also heard that there are anonymous gifts left on his steps....food, clothing, etc. He's a "bum" by all definitions, but harmless. He stinks to high heaven.....but why would anyone turn him away? He's a human.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would, I might not want him to sit next to me, but I wouldnt mind him in sevice...I am not catty, I do no judge by how others look LOL most of the time I look like s..t, I am the type of person that will pick up a stray, nurse it back to health and find it a home.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• absolutely!!! with opened arms and I would be thrilled and excited!!! Jesus came fir the poor in spirit, the meek, the hurting, the sinner.... the list goes on!!! Infact Jesus was homeless Himself, probably not dressed all that great either!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think that he should be aloud too.
    Maybe its not his fault he is homeless, jobs fall threw.
    I am not a judgmental person and if people are going to a church I really don't think they should be.
    Every person has the right to read, learn, and worship god and for someone to deny a person of that because of the way they look is sad.
    Maybe those people arn't true lovers of god because anyone who worships him or loves god knows that he wouldn't judge someone because of the way they look.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 1:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• he would be welcome at our church.... and he would probably be gushed over by the older ladies in our congregation after the service.... Southern ladies love to feed, clothe, and take care of people!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2009