My son won't leave his diaper on

I would love to start potty training him but he is showing no signs of wanting to talk so how would he at least let me know when he has to go? (that will be my next question) He is 21 months old, how can I get him to leave his diaper on? Is him taking it off a sign that its potty training time?

Help I am so lost!

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 1:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At night, turn the diaper around backwards.... if that doesn't work, turn it around backwards and put him in a onsie or a pair of pajamas backwards (with the zipper or buttons going upo the back)

In the day time, keep your potty seat close at hand and tell him if he won't wear the diaper he can go to the potty and wear Big-boy underwear.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Is there like a set time after he eats or drinks that I should set him on the potty. I am trying to get him to repeat the words poop and pee when he does it in his diaper so he knows what it is and I can link him to the potty chair with that.
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• How about pull ups.
    My son did the same thing have daddy take him to the bathroom and see how its done. he will copy what he sees soon he will be pottied trained lol if not duck tape helps lolololol HUGS to you. How are thing? miss you
    kathy067j

Answer by kathy067j at 2:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He's still a little young to be potty training but you can give it a try. Put him in underpants, give him lots of drinks, and 10-15 min after drinking try putting him on the potty. If he doesn't want to sit on the potty, don't force it, go back to diapers and try again in a few months.

In the mean time, if Veronica's tricks don't work, there's always duct tape!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I am coming at this whole diaper thing with a fresh new attitude lol
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• get under wear put them over the diaper n if u are trying to potty train him get a timer and set for every 30 sec
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• how long is a good amount of time to leave him on the potty chair for, he will be 2 in July should I do 2 minutes at a time if I can get him to sit there?
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He is ready for potty training! Put him in big boy underwear (let him pick it out himself) and tell him that when he needs to pee or poop he gets to do it in the potty. After 3 days of messes, he should have it down. Just take him to sit on the potty every 20 minutes or so, give him lots of liquids to drink so he has to go often, and give him books to read while sitting on the potty (so he sits there for a few minutes) any other questions then PM me. My DD doesnt talk yet completely but she goes in the potty.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 2:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think 21 months old is a perfect time to potty train. I don't entirely believe in the approach, "they'll let you know when they're ready"... my daughter trained beautifully at 19 months without showing any signs... check out the "Potty training moms" group on CM for info on the "3-day approach" (not as gimicky as it sounds), this is what worked for us. There's a lot of info on there. I think training before 2, and using a method like this, eliminates a lot of the power struggles and psychological issues you can run into training later.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He's the perfect age to potty train.  I just wrote a blog about it today.  Please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://raisingrocco.today.com/2009/04/23/potty_trained_under_two/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009