How can I get my son to

talk? I see so many other kids his age being able to repeat words or count to 3 and all my son wants to say is mama, daddy bye bye, and an occasional drink here and there, I feel like he is slipping behind or I am just not doing something right? I have tried 1 on 1 time with him but the kid has so much energy I can't keep him still long enough to listen to me.

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 1:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's normal hun, kids go at there own pace.
    My daughter just turned two a week ago and she is very smart.
    She goes to the potty on her own, and can say a few basic words.
    She does other stuff that most kids her age don't know how to do.
    But she just doesn't want to sit still long enough to learn anything.
    I asked the pediatrician if this was normal or if maybe she had ADD or something.
    He told me that thats a typical two year old.
    That they only pay attention to what they are interested in at the time.
    Most of the time they rather be doing something else then trying to learn something.
    He also said that sometimes you have to catch them in the moment when they actually want to learn something.
    It will happen in time, just gotta be patient.
    I can even see my daughter talking alot more and putting more words together then she did even a month ago!
    Good luck!
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 1:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I just sent you a message - hope you got it. :)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 1:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• How old is your son? Talk to him, narrate things to him, sing to him, and read to him every day. Ask your pediatrician and perhaps have him evaluated through Early Intervention. EI will let you know if he has a true speech delay or some other issue going on or whether everything is fine.

At 18 mos my nephew only said maybe three words. He had speech therapy for about a month and was jabbering away like crazy! He just wasn't ready to talk yet (not to mention has an older sister to speak for him and got what he wanted by grunting and pointing).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Sorry my son is 21 months old - grunting and pointing is all that my son seems to want to do
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Only one of my seven spoke before 2 years old, and he was talking at 19 months. My oldest has a severe speech problem so I was always a little worried. But once they hit two I would notice more and more words and eventually complete sentences. Some start early but I think 2 is the age most little ones really start to talk.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• my son is TONS of energy. he's almost 18 months and has 2 - 2 word sentances he will say, otherwise I am in the same boat. But I know he's smart too - he just won't sit long enough to focus or learn. I know he will though.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Toddlers and preschoolers do NOT learn by sitting and paying attention. I know you spent over 12 years of your life learning that way - sit still, listen to the teacher, do this workbook page, do this learning activity, learn these flashcards - but that is NOT how young children learn best. They learn through play and exploration.

While he may not seem to be listening to you, he is soaking up everything you say. You have two choices: be patient for a couple months longer or have him evaluated. Generally, doctors want to see 10 to 20 words by 18 months. If he doesn't have 10, I'd take him in. If he does, I'd be patient. Yes, some kids have MUCH more than that. Some are even using phrases. But not all are. To ease your mind, consider taking him in. If he is falling behind, speech therapy will teach YOU the games to play to help him. If he's fine, they will ease your mind.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• With my daughter i didn't baby talk to much and i didn't really like it when other people did it especially as she got older...i read to her since birth and always sang the ABC's, she had the toys that did the same. I wasn't a crazy woman who wanted my baby to be smart or anything she liked it. She started her first words around 6/7 months. By 1 1/2 she would recite and recognized the alphabet and up to 6 shapes. Certain children just pick up things quicker, her m/f cousin 4/2 months older didn't speak a word till they were almost 2. My babe is 27 months now and although she can say and repeat anything potty training/tantrums were a mission.
    meli14k

Answer by meli14k at 7:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son didn't really start talking until he was moved into an older class at DC. If you are home with him, try joining a group with slightly older children, or even ones his own age that are a little for advanced in talking. you will be surprised.
    GageWsMom

Answer by GageWsMom at 10:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009