What exactly is 'toddlerwearing'?

I noticed that some moms have this in their signature and was curious. What is it exactly? Do you 'wear' your toddler like you would a baby? Don't toddlers...well, need to toddle, so to speak? Do you 'wear' them at home or just when out and about? Just thought I would ask since I had not heard of this until I joined CM :)

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 1:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use an Ergo carrier for my toddler often.  He is 2 years, 4 months, and weighs about 25 pounds.  I encourage him to run around and be active, but there are times when he is tired, like after walking on the beach for an hour, and other times when it's not appropriate, like at the grocery store.  I think shopping carts are just gross, so I put him in the carrier, usually on my back.  At home, sometimes he attacks while I'm trying to vacuum and it's too loud to do while he's sleeping, so it's in the carrier.  Makes life a lot easier and just feels nice and natural to have him close without killing my arms.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm guessing it's exactly that. I'm going to google images to see what it looks like!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Wow, I just googled it and found a pic of a mom wearing a toddler on her back and a baby in the front. You would think that her back would ache...
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It is just like baby wearing but with a toddler. It is convenient if you are out and about or going for a walk.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 2:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Same as babywearing. I "wear" my toddler when I need to walk a distance she won't be able to walk. If she's restless and wants to walk I'll let her walk a little, but usually she likes being snuggled up on my back, so it's not an issue.

Like if I need to walk to the store by my apartment, there's no sidewalk and it's dangerous for her to walk with me, so I strap her on and walk there.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 2:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Wearing two actually doesn't hurt. Those types of carriers are very comfy. I have worn my 2 year old and 1 month old together before. And yes, toddler need to toddle but you don't wear them ALL day. Only when they want to be or you need them to be. Similar to how you'd do things with a stroller. We don't use strollers unless we have to which is very rarely and never for a new baby.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• No way am I wearing my 30lbs two year old!! lol

More power to those who do it! No way! Mine are too darn long and heavy! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Sounds like a term Dr. Sears coined..probably to get more people to buy his crappy books and crappy slings...
    Anonymous