Has anyones kid had a bad reaction to a shot other than a vaccine?

My son is 13, and recently he was sick and I took him to a doctor that wanted to give him a shot to make his stomach not hurt and be nauseous so he could keep down antibiotic. Right after the shot, my son turned pale white and acted funny and looked about ready to faint. Until that minute, I had never worried about shot or vaccs or reactions. Now, I am thinking we will not have anymore vaccs. I know I ddidn't have anymore after the kindergarten shots. My mom, myself and my son never had chicken pox or anything else. You think he could have another reaction with something else?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 2:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The doctor called it a vagal basal reaction.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If he's had his vax then why not continue? They're the same vax, just boosters. i've had an allergic reaction to a anti-nausea medication...that's it
    Anonymous

• I don't vax but I think you should do more research. I don't think you should make any choice without having all the information you need. Read everything you can about vaccines. Your son won't be getting many more shots anyway. Most are given before age 2 and the last few by age 5.

As far as 'just' boosters, that is less toxins so there is a point in stopping. I stopped vaxing when my 5th child was born. My 4th got only some parts of a few series and won't be finishing them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If the doctor was right, it's not a reaction to anything he was given. It was a reaction to the actual physical shot, to the pain of the shot, possibly to the sight of the needle. If so, then he will have issues if the dentist injects him with pain killers, if he ever tries to give blood, or any other time a needle is involved.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He has never had any remote reaction before. He only freaked this one time. He didn't even know where he was or what he was doing. He just flipped out. He wasn't scared of it and still isn't. You think it will still happen?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I am a fainter and I didn't have any reactions to needles or blood until I was a teen. I'm not scared of them and have no idea why it happens. Next time have him lay down, which helps.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My dd had a a reaction to a rocephin shot her little leg swelled and was red took her to the Dr he sent me home 15 minutes later her fever spiked and she had a febrile seizure, had to be rushed to the hospital and when we got her there she was completely dehydrated ,and had stopped breathing and was blue. Stupid pri*k could have killed my baby

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He had a reaction to the antinauseau and that happens, it wasn't to a vaccine, Those are 2 different things. At your sons age, he should be done with vaccines except for a tetnaus booster every 10 years. Also it may not have been a reaction to the shot but to the needle, he could have had himself worked up over getting the shot. My cousin is very afraid of needles and passes out at the sight of the needle.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009