How can I get my husband to quit smoking?

He tried before and couldnt do it, he lasted a week. We have a baby now. He smokes outside or in the garage. I am worried because he snores so loud you can hear him 3 rooms away. He takes vitamins, lifts weights, watches what he eats, but he smokes. His Dad died of cancer. I have never nagged him about it, but occassionaly I remind him that its not good for his health - and I dont want to be a widow rasing a child. Any suggestions?

pamom222

Asked by pamom222 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Try telling him that the effects of second hand smoke will cause Upper Respitory infections, ear infections, asthma, makes cold and bronchitis worse in kids. It doesn't matter if he smokes in the garage or not, the smoke is still on his clothes, skin and in his hair.

Other than that, you can't make him until he is ready. You could also ask the pediatrician to talk to him about how much the second hand smoke affects your child. My sons pediatrician will do that and he is very blunt about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• you cant, hes gonna have to quit when he wants to, im in the same boat SO smokes; though he has cut down quite a bit because I kept telling him he stunk the smell makes me sick (im 31 weeks pregnant) I told SO that he cant smoke while he's at home, i dont want to see him smoke and I dont want our kids to see him smoke, maybe you can tell your DH the same kind of thing cause you know your child is going to look up to daddy
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He has to quit when he is ready or else it isn't going to work.

My DH quit using the Nicorette gum. I was not dating him at the time, we met about a year after he quit.

My mom quit using hypnosis ... seriously.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• sorry but you can't. He has to do it for him, or on his own will. nagging/mentioning won't help either.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You can't make him quit. All you can do is be there for him and help him when he is ready. Talk to him and find out if he really wants to quit. If he does then offer to help him find a program that will help him. But if he doesn't you can't make him.

Lets face facts though. Millions of people live to a ripe old age while smoking. Just because someone smokes doesn't mean they are going to die. If it was an automatic death sentence then it wouldn't be legal let alone popular.

He will only quit when HE is ready!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He has to decide to do it on his own. If you "make" him do it, he will probably fail and be resentful towards you.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009