Private Schools?

Well Im looking to either Homeschool my child(ren) or put them in a private school... Since Ive never been to a private school could someone tell me how they are compared to Public school?
Ive found 2 private schools in our area. Tuition is $5,000 at one & $3,000 at the other.
Any other advice would be great!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm a product of private school and a teacher of public school. Neither is outright better. It depends on the school, period.

Some private schools don't do well with student who need real help (the reason my son goes to public school). My colleague's son went to a parochial school for 3 years. In third grade he went to a public school and was WAY behind academically. SOME private schools' music and art programs suck.

It used to be that private schools could offer special classes, etc, but now with the state standards as they are, all districts are offering all kinds of ap classes etc, gifted, etc.

However, some pubic schools really are horrible. It depends on the district, and even just the school itself. The school I work in, I would send my children to (if there wasn't a policy against it) but 3 of the schools in the district, I wouldn't if my life depended on it.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 5:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My kids have always gone to public school but the only thing I can suggest is spending a couple hours at the school so you can see how it's ran and check out their curriculum.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I grew up in Chicago. The difference between public and private school there is huge. The schools there are terrible. For the best chance at a future it's best you avoid most of them. I went to private school but had a couple short public school try outs.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Here in Michigan, it really depends on the area you live in. Some public school districts are really bad. In that case, I could understand doing private or parochial schooling. However, the district we are in is very good, highly rated in the US, which is why we bought our house in the city we are in. I wouldn't send our kids to private school becuase our public ones are good, and we couldn't afford it.

With that said, I went to a private school. My experience of it was alright. There are a lot of politics involved. The administration really focused on the students that were going to meet their college-quota, such as going to highly rated colleges in the US (i.e. Ivy League, Univ. of MI, etc). Everyone that graduated from my private school goes to college, honestly. I had only 68 in my graduating class, and there is around 250 students in the whole high school, which means smaller classes.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My personal opinion is that it is good for kids to get out and be in school with other kids.....Our culture encourages it and I think it is a good thing. We have had good experiences with Public schools, but it does depend on the area and the individual school.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had a friend who went to a private school. It was a catholic school and it was income based. It was a good school. She is a really well educated lady, but she is a little 'mentally fragile'. Not sure if the catholic school thing was totally to blame, but I don't think it helped either.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I went to a private Catholic school for 9 years and at that time, we did get a better education than the public schools (it was 30 yrs ago though). My cousins 3 kids go to Catholic school and there is no difference to the quality of education the just have the added faith aspect. They tend to have smaller class sizes.

honeyb3: the lady you know is NOT mentally fragile because of her Catholic education, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard and quite frankly, I am offended, especially being Catholic and having a Catholic education.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009