how i'm suppose to know if my husband will go with me to base at CA when i go for the national guard.

lulu589

Asked by lulu589 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Um you ask
    Anonymous

• Are you being activated???

But the answer if that's the case.. he can move out there but the expense falls on you and I'm 99% sure you don't get reimbursed.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• What are you really asking? I'm very confused by your question.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 2:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Explain Crystal, I'm curious because my husband is thinking about moving on base, but I was under the impression we would be covered. Thanks in advance for your info.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you are active duty then you will receive BAH, which if you live on base will be taken away from you. Meaning you will pay for base housing from your BAH.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 2:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• So it's in the better interest to live off base? That's funny I was always told it was better to live ON base. If they are going to take things away what's the point? I'm confused. LOL!!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Active duty gets BAH for housing, if you live on post you don't see that, if you live off post you do. If you are National Guard you only get that when you are activated and are usually not able to live in on post housing. There is always exceptions- my husband is active duty but in a guard unit- Warrior Transition Battaltion, which is for wounded soldiers regardless of active duty, reserve or guard. The cadre members are activated and may choose to live in housing HOWEVER the warriors may not. Even if they are married they get a barracks room. They have the option of moving their family out here and living off post.

Does that answer your question... not sure exactly what you were wanting to know...
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It depend where you live. In CO we got 900 for BAH and found an apartment for 400 a month. Now, DH gets 838 for BAH and most places off post are that much if not more (the places I want to live anyway, we could get an apartment for 5-600 but I don't want to live in an apartment) Now we have a great 3 bedroom, all utilities covered, for 838. Plus free maintainence and lawn care.

It really is a person choice
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• And they don't take away money... It shows BAH on the LES as income. IF you live on post, it also shows as a deduction that goes to housing (which is usually a company, now that housing in privatized). If you live off post, lthere is no deduction and you recieve that amount each month in addition to whatever else pay

Before you move on post, look very carefully. Housing is usually not what it seems. I would HIGHLY suggest finding out where you might live and ask some people that live there what they think.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• And remember, the question was initiall about the Guard... everything after that is about active duty. THere is a HUGE difference
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2009