What is the best parenting book to get?

LandonsMom321

Asked by LandonsMom321 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What to expect,when you are expecting, the first year. and toddler years. Feed me, I'm yours.
    Anonymous

• How to get your kids to mind without losing yours.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have what to expect first & toddler years as well as how to get your kids to mind w/o losing yours. I like them both.
    chaster

Answer by chaster at 2:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• These are what I have purchased and read:

What to Expect: The First Year
    Babywise
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Anything by Dr. Sears. Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster Klein. How to Behave So Your Children Will Too by Sal Severe. The Happiest Toddler on the Block...not sure of the author. Ditch the What to Expect books(unless you are just looking for stuff on milestones), they suck.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The AAP has issued warnings against the Babywise approach... it has ben shown to be harmful to babies... can lead to dehydration, failure to thrive, infant death.... Don't get that one! If you're looking for a book on the very basics of caring for a newborn to one year-old (if you're a 1st time parent), I'd look at Baby 411. It's not ideological, which I like. I think it's best to read a book like this first that presents different perspectives on parenting so that you can be informed but then develop a parenting style that's right for you, rather than trying to become a carbon-copy of one particular parenting type. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It depends on your parenting style and your child. Personally, I hated the What to Expect series. I've liked Playful Parenting for creative discipline ideas and Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5 for overall info.
    Other books I've heard good things about but haven't tired yet:
    1-2-3 Magic
    How to talk so Kids will listen and listen so kids will talk
    Parenting Young Children: Systematic Training for Effective Parenting (STEP) of Children Under Six

Books I've heard terrible things about but haven't tried myself:
    Babywise

The best course is to go to the bookstore and look at a few. Thumb through them and see if they seem logical to you. You should also read the reviews at some place like Amazon. Why do some parent's hate the book? Why do some love it?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The best parenting book is the one YOU are going to write for YOUR kid.
    Anonymous

• Between Parent and Child by Haim Ginott is the best parenting book ever.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 4:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Hands down, Your Baby and Child by Penelop Leach http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=16987
    I am also very fond of Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009