Why my doctor has advised not eating tuna during pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes unfortunately you have to really watch sea food in general. no tuna, no sushi...basically sea foods high in mercury or raw. salmon should be ok though. but I cant remember if it was pink or white salmon you have to avoid! I craved the tuna sub from subway for 6 months lmao
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I ate tuna during pregnancy but few & far between. It is due to the mercury levels I believe.
    chaster

Answer by chaster at 2:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• he should have warned you against seafood in general, not just tuna. but the pp is correct
    Anonymous

• The mercury levels in seafood is the concern.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would say it's because of mercury.
    But it is alright to eat it once a week or so, because tuna has lower levels than other kinds.
    You needs omega 3s, so if you don't get them from fish, then get some supplements, like Flax seed oil or fish oil pills. Either one. I take one of each everyday. Flax seed does something with your hormones though. I can't remember what..

Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thank you now I understand why the doctor was trying to avoid to answer my question when I ask him why I would have to stop eating tuna. Unbelievable.
    Anonymous

• Mercury=poison
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You don't want to eat too much seafood because of the mercury. Also, there are bad things that you get from the canning process. Here's an article that may help clear a few things up. http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/psafe/0,,qpx7,00.html Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• music thank you op
    Anonymous