My friend has a 3mth old baby with enczema. Now the dr told her to put cortisone all over his body.

But i worry that he will get it in his mouth, just because he puts his hands in his mouth alot. She also breast feeds & the dr told her to put the cortisone on her nipples too. this just doenst seem safe to me since she is still breast feeding. He said to just wipe it off & feed th baby. Does anyone have any advice & is this safe for the baby??

tinabeana9503

Asked by tinabeana9503 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why did he tell her to put it on her nipples? i wouldnt put it there but i would follow dr.'s orders but i would just put the cortizone where he has outbreaks not ALL over his body that just seems like a waste to me
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The dr said to put it on her nipples because they r really cracked & dry i guess. But he said just wipe it off when she goes to feed the baby. Which i think is ridiculous, i would wash my boob before feeding because itll still get in the babys mouth.
    tinabeana9503

Answer by tinabeana9503 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• That doesn't sound write to me. My nephew also has enzema and his Dr. suggested using Cetaphyl during bath time. Hope that helps and good luck!
    BellaMomma3

Answer by BellaMomma3 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My daughter has it too. We use cortizone only on her out breaks, and a non perfume, non dye lotion on the rest of her body after bath. She should use lanolin on her nipples. it is safe for baby
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• This is weird. Vaseline all over to keep moisture in. Cortizone only on flare up spots. Is she having some kind of problem with her nipples, that she needs to put something on them?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Oops... didn't see the part about the cracked dry nipples. Cortizone isn't the best for that, lanolin, olive oil, breastmilk, those are good choices.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2009