How can i get my 13 month old son to enjoy sleeping in his crib?

He will sleep in his crib, as long as he falls asleep in mine and my husbands bed first. The second he wakes up in his crib he starts crying. Ive tried to crying it out method, which did not work for us. It got worse and worse every night and he never stopped crying no matter how tired he was. Ive even got in his crib with him to sleep... and he falls asleep just fine. He just wants to be next to us to fall asleep. How can i get him to fall asleep on his own without doing the crying it out method? :\

JacksonsMomm08

Asked by JacksonsMomm08 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have tried all methods an it just didnt work it was exhausting for us all I also couldnt get my now 15mnth old to sleep in her crib so I got a toddler bed an it's next to ours an she sleep wonders, But i usually just rock her to sleep then put her in bed an she is now out for the night at 11:00 ,lol cause before all of this it used to be 3 an 4 am before anyone got sleep hope this helps
    Anonymous

• We went through a similar situation and the best thing I can tell you is BE CONSISTENT! We didn't let our DD cry, but we let her fuss a bit when we put her down. We'd go in every two minutes and be with her and then leave the room again, and if she did cry we would rock with her for a bit and then put her back down. Eventually, more than an hour later, she fell asleep. It took about two weeks of us doing this for her to get comfortable being by herself in the crib. But now, a month or so later, she falls asleep nights and naptimes by herself. It was a tough road, good luck!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2009