Anybody have hypothyroidism?

What was you TSH leve when you were diagnosed? Can you tell me a little bit of your experience: symptoms, treatment, how well treatment helped, etc. The reason I'm asking is my MIL is a labtech and she did some bloodwork for me and my TSH came back high.

jreneei

Asked by jreneei at 2:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Health

• That's high enough for you to see your doctor to get the full thyroid panel drawn. T3/T4 should also be measured to get a whole picture so you can start getting treated. Hypothyroidism is not something you want to ignore.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• May I ask what your levels where? And did they test your T4 and T3 which is a better indicator of hypo/hyperthyroidism?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Mine was 37 and it was 7 months after my daughter was born. My symptoms were--brain fog like I was in a dream state, weight gain and inability to lose it, cold intolerance (big difference between just being cold and cold actually hurting), tired all the time, nails were peeling and cracked, depression, puffy face, libido gone. I started on 175 mcg of Synthroid and was gradually put on the lowest dose possible. I am not taking it anymore because the lowest dose was too much. So far I have no symptoms and my labs were normal so it looks like it was pregnancy induced..Good luck though, I know it sucks to have this condition. It is a delicate balance of finding the right medications.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have hypothyroidism. I'm not sure what my levels are, but I have to get tested every 6 months and have my medication readjusted. I currently take 200mcg of synthroid and that is a lot. I think the max it comes in is 300mcg. It sucks. Can't lose weight. Gain weight if I even look at something fattening. I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet just to maintain my current weight. Again....It really sucks!!
    Anonymous

• The level was 10.something. She can't do the T3 and T4, those are send-outs at her lab.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 2:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have appt w/ my ob/gyn on Tuesday because of my abnormal menstrual cycle. I'll show him the bloodwork then.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 3:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There are a range of symptons for hypothyroidism. I have it and hoshimotos which is the auto immune defficiency with your thyroid. They will know whether you have that when you get your T4 tested. If you do then your hypothyroidism is chronic and you will require medication for the rest of your life. Failure to keep your tsh levels in check over a period of years can lead to heart attack bc it causes the lining of your heart to thicken.
    Mommy2184

Answer by Mommy2184 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't know what my levels are since I go every six weeks and my meds are adjusted. I was diagnosed in December. My symptoms included/include constipation- severe, no menstrual periods, dry flakey skin, hair falling out, nails breaking and peeling, complete inability to get warmed up once I get chilled, weight gain of 20 pounds in 5 months with proper diet and excercise, extreme fatigue which included me cancelling plans which is not like me at all. My mom also has hypothyroidism and she clued me in so I got medical attention quickly. When my meds are fixed I hope to lose this weight but I hear it is very hard.
    haston

Answer by haston at 9:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2009