Potty training help!!!

I have potty trained all 3 of my kids with no roblems they have all been potty trained before the age of two but now I am babysitting my two young nephews for extra cash and they are 2 and 3. The 3 y/o is nearly four and he refuses to use the potty he wont even tell you if he has to go! I have tried everything and my husband has too. Their mother is helping as well but their father is over seas and I am at my witts end here. We want at least the oldest potty trained in a month or two because theeir mommy is pregnant and doesn't need 3 kids in diapers! HELP PLEASE!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You might consider potty training the younger one instead, especially if he isn't as resistant as the older one. The older one may very well decide to self-train once his little brother is doing it.

And for either of them, don't wait for him to tell you he has to go. Simply take him to the potty and TELL him it's time to try. Neither will want to stop playing to go sit in the bathroom so don't give them a choice (do you have to go... NO) and don't leave it up to them (You wet your pants? Why didn't you tell me you had to go?!?)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i'm there. my son won't tell me when he has to pee, but for some reason he has no problem telling me he has to poop. anway, sit them on the potty every hour on the hour, get a timer and when it goes off, make a big deal that it's potty time! give treats if they go. GL
    Anonymous

• Reward charts! Every time they use the potty, they get a star. When they have ten stars, they get a little toy (the kid meal toys from fast food restaurants are great). When they have 40 stars they get to watch a video. Use whatever rewards fit your situation and good luck! My daughter didn't give up diapers until her 4th birthday (never had an accident, though).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I was kinda a drill sgt with my kids when they were potty training. If we were watching tv ie Nick Jr in the morning they would have to go potty at every commercial and/or when the shows were over and during playtime we would go every 15 min and they would have to atleast try to go. Soon they just got it and would tell me they had to go on their own. I also skipped pull ups and went straight to undies- may not always had pants on cause accidents happen and less laundry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2009