Does your LO put stuff in or take things out of the garbage can?

My 15mo DD has started a really nasty habit. She will put things in the trash! I have found my cell phone and various other items in there ... She also takes things out! Yesterday she was running around the house with a banana peel from breakfast! How do I get her to stop???

tayanddyl

Asked by tayanddyl at 2:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Buy a can with a lid and turn it towards a wall, makes it a little more inconvient for you but keeps them out of the trash...mine would eat out of it, doesn't matter that they ate two seconds ago, they just loved the trash can.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My 16 month old likes to help mommy clean. He is constantly putting things in the garbage, but mostly it is trash. I haven't luckily found anything of importance in my garbage yet. I haven't noticed him taking anything out. That is a tough one because you want him to learn to throw things in the trash but only garbage and not good stuff and certainly not take anything out. I just repeatedly say good boy when he throws things that should be away and try and teach him what goes in there and what shouldn't it isnt easy but they will get it eventually.. good luck!
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 3:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have a can with a lid on it! She knows how the things works. We have even tried moving it to another location, worked fine for a day then she found it! She also opens the refrigerator and takes things out!

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 3:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We have a fridge lock, and have to put the trash can up high. The kids have thrown away money, my debit card and have pulled out food from the trash or just trash from the trash to play with. It is on top of a small table the kids do not see it.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• my son has done this a couple times but I told him no, and believe it or not..... he's listened SO FAR... I think...eek!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• vsrillo: Thanks this is a great idea! Why didn't I think of it? DUH!!!  I will give it a try.

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 3:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My 23 month old does that too. I bought a can with a lid and she figured it out in 1 day; turned it around backwards and she figured that our immediately. So, I got baby gates around both trash cans and put a huge speaker in from of them so that she can not get anything in or out.

My main problem now is the dang refigerator. We installed one of those locks and it fell off; it just never stuck to the refrigerator.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009