Should I let him give up?

My 10YO DS plays baseball for a local park. He came home last night upset. Says he does not want to play anymore. The coach has already informed us that my son does not pay attention in practice, which could be the reason he's not learning the correct way to play. (He has ADHD, son does not the coach ... ) Should I tell him to continue playing because he will learn to love it, or let him give up?

tayanddyl

Asked by tayanddyl at 3:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would make him finish out his commmitment. it's not about baseball or ADHD, but about honoring our commitments.
    and help him with it until this season is finished. Go over the rules and techniques at home with him

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i would have him finish the season. don't pressure him to do well or make him feel like he has to love it. but tell him he wanted to play (i'm assuming he wanted to if its something you guys decided to sign him up for and he didn't ask i would let him quit) so he has to finish the season out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Do NOT let him quit. My son has ADD and he does fine in baseball. As a matter of fact, my son's doctor told me to put him in baseball because it will help with his concentration and excess energy and it does. Your son's coach needs to ease up and HELP him learn the game. No matter what do NOT let him quit, he needs to honor his committment and if he quits that could cause the team to be short players and they would have to forfeit games. You or your husband can pratice with him at home too. It is the coaches job to make sure ALL kids get attention during practice to learn the game. Some coaches ignore the kids that don't play good and concentrate on the ones who play good because those kids don't need extra help. Talk to the coach or stay at practice and observe what your child does.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I always think that finishing the year out is best, and then you can just learn from the experience.

I have had a similar issue with my son. He is great in many ways, but let's face it...he is not the sharpest nail in the bucket. I have been disappointed in him lately. Don't get me wrong I love him, but, I think I am realizing that he is just really, really lazy. I am so disappointed by this.

I think:Do I push him or do I just say this --he is just going to be the middle-average kid. I think I have to face the fact that my son is not brilliant, is talentless, and has a hard time thinking for himself. But, now that I come to that point...what do I do with that. I need help.

I don't know...do i push him out of this laziness or do i live with it.
    MomSM

Answer by MomSM at 10:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have had a similar issue with my son. He is great in many ways, but let's face it...he is not the sharpest nail in the bucket. I have been disappointed in him lately. Don't get me wrong I love him, but, I think I am realizing that he is just really, really lazy. I am so disappointed by this.

I really admire that kind of honesty.

I'm having the same problem with my g-son, and I just want to kick his little behind. He starts off ok then just *blah* nothing. Makes me crazy!

MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 9:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son is not a sportsman. He is small and not strong, but of course I know the value of sport to keep fit and healthy, also to learn about rules, team-building and leadership.
    He enjoys team sport at school, but began to struggle with Saturday football, as he didn't have the stamina to keep up with the other boys. We let him stop, but signed him up for swimming after school one evening, so he was still doing a sport outside of school.
    This went well, until he moved up a group. Once again, he didn't have the stamina to keep up and he was crying with exhaustion after the session (it didn't help that it was on the same day as his long sports afternoon at school). Eventually, after discussion with him, we allowed him to stop. Again we have encouraged him to try another sport. He now goes to a trampoline club. He loves this and is making amazing progress.
    Could your boy try another sport at the end of the season?
    LizzieMade

Answer by LizzieMade at 6:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009