How do I stop this behavior?!

I have an almost 18 month old autistic son. He has always thrown fits, but he has recently started throwing anything around him while screaming and crying. How do I get him to stop throwing things?! He's going to end up hurting someone or himself. Thanks so much!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh wow. I have no experience with autistic children. If he was mine i wouldnt be mean but i wouldnt be nice either. Does he respond when you tell him "no"? If so, i'd probably take everything from him until he stops the fit and then give it back so that he'd learn he cant have it if he's going to be mean. But again, i have no experience with autistic children. There may be a group in here somewhere that can help, would you like me to search?
    Anonymous

• Please! I'm at my wits end and need some suggestions. If it was just his toys he was throwing I would take them away, but no. The last fit it was toys, coasters, the coaster holder, and a remote! And all that was because I told him no and moved him away from the file cabinet that he was trying to get into!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would try and find a support group just for parents with autistic children. I personnally do not have any experience with them but I have always understood the the behavior among them can vary drastically. My suggest would be to dedicate one primary room just for these occasions that does not have anything that he can throw. If he is still in a crib which I assume he is leave all toys out of there and only have his bed and dresser. This may be difficult but you at least know that he will be safe as well as anyone else. Sorry I was not more help.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 4:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you have not yet found a specialist to work with you, please do so as soon as you can. There are many therapies for autism that work best when started early. One of those is being very careful about food, www.feingold.org has great guidelines.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• He has a speech therapist and an early intervention teacher. He also has evaluations for occupational and physical therapy coming up. I'll look into that website. Thanks!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• This is Autism Awareness month and there is hope for your little one!!! please visit this website and find out you can help your child/or someone you know dealing with Autism... Don't give up on your little guy there is a light at the end of this tunnel!!!!

http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/psa.php
    BabeeOnBoard

Answer by BabeeOnBoard at 7:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thanks! =) I'll check out the website!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• remove him to a quiet safe place when the fit starts is what i read. they said they even feel safe if you empty out a closet put pillows and stuffed animals in it and set them in there with the door open of course a safe haven. otherwise id just move him to his bed and soothe him there. where you know its safe
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 8:50 PM on May. 2, 2009