Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Divorced Parents With Child Support Issues?

I need your thoughts, the x cant pay child support because he got into one of those adjustable mortgage loans and my be losing his house. If he losses his house he will lose his job. Would you still garnish his wages while you can? I dont want my son to think I am the bad guy.

Answer Question

Asked by dillonsma at 3:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 5 (81 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • I guess that would depend on if you really needed the money and if the states lets you make that decision. Here you dont get to decide (well i wasnt married so i guess it could be different if you are divorcing) wages are garnished regardless of the financial situations.


    Answer by Chandra034 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • It's not if you need the money, it's what it deserved to your son. Yes garnish

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Do you know this for sure?

    Or are you going by his word?

    Do what you have to do to support your son, that is his problem everyone has problems don't be fooled he could be just telling you stuff so he won't have to pay. You wouldn't believe how many dads do stuff like this to avoid paying cs. Just check in to it. And as long as you give hugs, love and attention to your child they will never think of you being a bad person. GL

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • I am going by his word, not sure what is going on except he is an A.. I am really confused because we really dont need the money my husband does ok and is wonderful about supporting my son. I just think it is his responsibility to support his child.

    Answer by dillonsma at 3:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • You are right, dillonsma, it IS his responsibility to support his child. My ex is a jerk, too, and that is why when it comes to getting the money my children are entitled to from him, I don't feel guilty for doing what is necessary, be it to garnish his wages or to ask the judge to hold him in contempt b/c he isn't paying. The thing you have to teach your son is that YOU, and YOUR SON, did not do this to dad. Dad did this to himself by not having his priorities straight and ensuring he could meet all of his responsibilities. He knew he had a child support obligation, he should have ensured he was able to pay that when getting into the situation with his house. And, while we're talking about this, why would he lose his job if he loses his house? That makes no sense to me, at least as you've put it here, and sounds like he's just really trying for sympathy.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 4:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • He will lose his job because of top secret security clearance, if financially unstable he becomes a risk. I guess you guys are right, I should just do it and get it over. I am not sure how to go about garnishing does anyone know?

    Answer by dillonsma at 4:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Where I live (FL) you would just file a motion with the court to ask them to modify the original order to include garnishing wages as the method of payment. I would check with your local courthouse or your lawyer if you had one to find out the exact process. OR, if he's already not paying, filing to hold him in contempt (around here anyway) usually results in an automatic income deduction order. Good luck!

    Answer by tropicalmama at 5:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • wow...i would really want to know how much is real. If he normaly takes care of my son I would be sensitive KNOWING I don't need it as much as he does. Maybe just for 6 mo til things get better after that revisit the issue. These are hard times and thank GOD its not affecting you. But it is him. Pray about it.

    Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • I gave my ex a break ONCE. I don't regret it just never again. I can say I gave you a chance ONCE. :)

    Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Depending on the state, it is NOT up to you. Once he loses the house and his job, you can go back to court to out a hold on the child support. Well, you can ask for one. But that is entirely up to you. I for one, do NOT give my ex any breaks, he is a deadbeat who hasn't contacted us in 6 years and the 7 before that it was very sporadic. If he doesn't pay, I have no problem having his license suspended, leins put on his house and car, or jail time. In Wisconsin, ALL child support has to be out of paychecks and go through the state. protects both parents that way. ANY support not paid through the state is considered a gift later on.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.