Fellow Christians, do you know what it means to be salt and light in the world?

Matthew 5:13-16 says: "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses it's saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything,except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

You are the light of this world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a it's stand,and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven."

Do you feel like you are being salt and light in this world? Why or why not,and what can we all do to do better at it?

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Christian and I know what this is saying, That we need to enhance the world with our love and service as salt enhances the flavor of food we eat and to be light means to expose and bring light to the dark places by loving and serving others

Unfortunately, most Christians these day do not understand these concepts and give Christians a bad name.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 4:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You're right. I have been studying this, and I just really felt led by God to post this question,and see what kind of response I get. God bless you for your response.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yep, tyme4me2day is right,
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I do my best.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I try to be flavorful illumination when I can, and in my own way. Me and Jesus have a good thing going.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• jennijune, you are flavorfully illuminating :)

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• LOL, BubbaLuva, I try ;-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I do my best as well and yes I know what that passage means :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I believe it is saying we are to spread God's WORD, and LOVE..
    We are to be the Light that leads others to God in the darkness...

I think people who actually know God's word can and do this.
    People who don't believe in the Bible could never do this.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I actually want to say alot!!! LOL. Some of you already mentioned that salt is a flavor enhancer. Yummy. But it was also used back then primarily as a preserving agent too. Without refrigeration you would use it to prevent decay and rotting food.

We need to be something that adds flavor and makes non-believers thirsty. But we also need to be people that preserve the society. Chuck Smith says, that some Christians rather than preserving society are supporting evil. They have become one of the corrupting agents by not standing firm against sin. We can look around at our culture's downward spiral and we can see that the church has not done it's job. So many Christians ignore the word of God and compromise the truth, and the fruit of that is moral decay.

When the salt loses it's flavor it is good for nothing, and it is trodden underfoot. We need to stand up for the word of God, be loving, help people, and be salty.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009