Accutane does anyone have experience with this

My son was put on Accutane because of severe cystic acne. I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this drug.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i used to work for a dermatologist and they prescribed that pretty regular & it works awesome.....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• That is great news,, I am excited for him as his acne is really bad. Do you know how long it takes to start working?
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• MY brother used it a teen. I used it as an adult. I would not put my teen boy on it. It causes depression, more severe in boys & teens.

what other options have you tired? Eliminating foods with hormones (only get meats, eggs, and dairy from untreated animals helps, too. What about Proactive?
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Kiter----proactive dosen't work for long term or for cystic acne and it's usually a last resort by derms

.. it can cause depression but i never had a patient to have any depression from taking it & i worked there for 4 years....

it takes about a month to see really good results but it works very well & you and your son will be happy with the results
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I guess- just keep a cloose eye on him. My brother got near suicidal and when I took it as an adult I got very depressed.- but never told the doctor- (so there may have been a lot of cases od kids getting depressed and they just never told you) so with that in the family, I'd be very careful about my own sons on it. but if there was no famil history of thiings like that, I'd think differently about it. annd I never had moodiness or boiuts of depression before tkingit and now I do get small bouts of depression. Must be genetic DNA makeup

But it did work on my cystic acne. It took 2 1/2 months for results for me, but it worked.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• it also affects adults a little bit differently ..... not trying to argue but i've seen more than 2 cases of cystic acne where patients needed accutane
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• yes, it does affect adults differently.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Josie- just because my experience and that of my brothers is different than yours, doesn't mean our experience isn't valid or my opinions and thoughts are wrong. The label even warns of depression (or did when I took it and back when my brother did), it's not a rare thing I made up. So if one has family history or major mood swings or depression, I'd be extra careful.

And I never said it didn't work. It does work well.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thanks guys, I have read about the depression and will keep my eye on him. He is so self conscious now about his face that I had to try it as nothing else worked. He started it three days ago so we will see how it goes.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 5:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• like i said kiter i wasn't trying to make you mad or argue with you just letting her know that it may not affect him like it did you b/c in my 4 years experience working with patients on accutane, it was VERY rare for any of of them to be depressed from the meds...... not saying that you weren't depressed, jsut saying it's rare....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009