Do I have a right to want my DH to stand up for me?

in a nutshell, his niece almost broke my dds neck when she was a couple weeks old and when we confronted her about how she need sto control her *on speed* 5 yr old she stormed out saying bout hoow she just wanted to be dead, and she apologised to my hubby, not me.....and his sister came over to our house and bitched me out over shit that isnt true and mu hubby let her *because he was mad* even though i defend him whether other people are right or not and hes since apologised but wont tell his sister that he wont let her treat me like that because *he dosent want to start an argument* am i over reacting ? because she hung up on me when i tried to talk to her...... even though all this happened a month ago *hes been putting it off for over 2 weeks now*

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 4:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• You have that right. I would expect my husband to stand up for me (and he has) and I would and have done the same for him as well. ESPECIALLY where the safety of the children are concerned. And Hell hath no fury like that I would unleash upon him if he were not to stand up for me when I was trying to protect the children. Believe me.
    Anonymous

• When it comes to your child's life you need to stand up with or without your DH blessings. Don't wait for him to grow some balls, if it is pertaining your child or them mistreating you, heck do it yourself.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't think your over reacting but what I would do is let this issue go since it's been so long, and if she does mouth off to you again tell her husband his sister cannot talk to you like that and he needs to let her know. If he doesn't then there is an issue, but if he does then everything is ok. I see why he doesn't want to cause an arguement, thats why I say let this one slide (on his part not hers) and if she does it again you speak up!! Hopefully it gets better!!

VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• how many apologies are required?

Answer by admckenzie at 4:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Every woman wants her husband to defend and protect her, but I don't think you could call it a right. I certainly don't think we can demand that our husbands come to our defense. I have found that it's very detrimental to my cause to let my husband know that I expect him to do certain things for me. I think men interpret that as our wanting to control them, and the big majority will run the other way when we try it. I also think that when we are constantly pointing out the faults of other family members to our husbands that that usually works against us, as well. He has a brain, and he is not stupid. If we will be quiet, he will eventually get his craw full of the relatives and next thing you know, he will be standing up against them just the way you've always wanted him to do. All one has to do is exercise a little patience and be very quiet. Just love on him and wait. It will happen.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• he should stand up for you, if he doesn't that he really is not a good husband........
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree with mrssundin, he should stand up for you regardless of who it is, and wether or not he's upset with you. My husband would never allow anyone to yell at me, disrespect me or call me names...and i've stopped talkign to my family because of negative things they've said about him. Avoiding confrontation is one thing...allowing someone to disrespect your significant other is another...
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You are not over reacting at all. My husband has never and will never stand up to his Mother when she says crap about me. It hurts but I know that it is not going to change so I just deal with it. I wish you luck.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 5:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2009