Do you add anything in with your roses to make them grow beautifully?

So, I'm watching 7 Pounds the other night (Will Smith movie) and he told the girls neighbor to put banana peels in the soil. Does that really work? (I'm not about to destroy my roses with a trial and error move!) My roses are always really quite pretty, but, I want bigger and fuller, ya know. Usually I just do the regular waterings and Miracle Grow reg. Is there anything else that I can do?

josie_mommyof2

Asked by josie_mommyof2 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get the special rose food. I get one that you mix with water that feeds, controls black spot and controls rose type bugs. It works really well, when I remember to use it. Other flowers really like rose food too - I've never seen other flowers react as well to regular miracle grow as they do to rose food.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• epsom salts in the spring, bloom in the summer, fire ashes in the fall
    Anonymous

• Also mixing coffee grounds and eggs shells and yes I have heard banana peels do work mixing it well and deep around the bushes...
    Also a good plant food such as miracle grow works...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Banana peels and such are great for composting, it wouldn't cause any harm.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 7:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My hubby could grow roses in wet cement, I swear! The man can't grow anything else but roses and tomatoes, but he is a wizard with those. He puts Miracle Grow potting soil in the hole when he plants them, and adds the Miracle grow liquid several times after over the years. The bushes themselves are strong and full leafed and the bloomes are big and bright and last a long time. Buy name brand roses to start with if you can afford them. He swears by Jackson & Perkins, they are a bit spendy but well worth it for years of beauty. He does the same with tomatoes, and every year we don't have tomato bushes, we have tomato TREES! The things get like 10 feet tall and loaded with yummy tomatoes by the bushels.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:32 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• bat poop. It sounds gross, but that's worked the best to keeping our garden looking full.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Be careful with the bat poop. Only use just a tiny tad. I've used it and it burned some of my plants. I like Ortho Rose Fertilizer. It feeds the roses as well as protects from disease. I have used banana peel around my roses with good luck. I bury them in the ground so ants won't get on them. Fish emulsion is great too. One of the best thing you can do for your roses is keep them mulched well with some kind of compost. I use mushroom compost because I have access to it. The stuff is like 'gold' it's so good. I also use aged cow manure which I also have plenty of. lol
    Linda
    Tx2Step

Answer by Tx2Step at 9:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009