what should i do when my daughter has an asthma attack? what should i look for? what can i do to make her feel better?

tasha080808

Asked by tasha080808 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Well if your daughter has asthma she should have either an inhaler or a breathing treatment that was prescribed by her doc. an asthma attack if severe enough can kill a young child. no smoking around her because that will cause an asthma attack. she will not be able to catch her breath and seems to only be exhaling. her lips could turn blue meaning she is not moving oxygen well. if you cannot get her breathing under control you should call an ambulance. Asthma is a very serious condition at any age but especially serious in children. be careful
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son hand daughter have asthma too and it can be very scary. Here is what we do to treat them:

-Daily Cough=Daily Maintenance meds which is Pulmicort in Nebulizer, SingulAir, and Nasonex

-Wheezing, Worsening Cough, Shortness of Breath, Pulling at Ribs or neck, etc... =Albuterol by Nebulizer every 4- 6 hours or inhaler if we are not at home to use nebulizer
    *If she doesn't see relief within 5-10 minutes we do another round of Albuterol through nebulizer

-If the second round didn't help the attack then I call 911 or load him in the car. It depends how bad he looks. I was told never to hesitate calling 911 w/breathing issues. Kids can crash fast. I would rather look stupid for bringing them in too often then stupid for killing them.

-To make your child feel better, you can stay calm (easier said than done), talk in a soothing voice, encourage deep slow breathing, snuggle while administering medicines, etc...
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 8:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Stay calm, use her inhaler. Keep her calm. If she is having a very hard time breathing or the inhaler doesn't work then you need to take her to the ER. Asthma is a very serious condition for anyone who has it and you shouldn't fool around with it. Keep her away from smokers, when it is really humid out keep her inside, when it is really cold keep her inside. If she is outside running around just watch her for signs of an attack...heavy breathing, wheezing, excessive coughing. You should really talk to he doctor and set up an asthma plan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Also we always have a prepacked Emergency Room Bag. It has their insurance cards in it, list of current meds, change of pajamas w/socks (incase of admission), crayons and paper, books, etc...It has always been so helpful. I also have on my computer a sick chart for either kid. That way when their illness begins I start to chart it. Basically because my memory stinks and when they are asking you a million questions I want to be able to answer accurately... When the illness started, what the symptoms have been, how high the fever is, how they are eating and drinking, what meds and when, etc.. hope this helps.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 9:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had athma probelms when I was younger, and my mom and I found some more "home" remedy things that really helped. Watch her finger nails. If they start to turn either blue or purple around the cuticle, it is very likely an attack is coming. Alos, if for some reason you can't find the inhaler, you should try hot coffee. Hot tea works also, it just didn't work well for me. And it's helpfully if the coffee is given black. I know it sounds strange, but it does work.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you do not have a rescue inhaler...then you need to switch docters...a child at any age should have their rescue inhaler!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I agree... also found Manuka honey given twice a day to be very helpful! kids over age 1 though only!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Your child should absolutely have a rescue inhaler or a home nebulizer. My son has asthma and when he was little he was never really a wheezer but would cough. In fact if he was wheezing it was hospital time. what we would watch for in our on was a tugging in the hollow just below the neck. if it looks like it is pulling in deeper then there is a problem. The main thing is to recognize what type of asthmatic your child is. As i was saying my son was and is a cougher some are wheezers. My son's asthma is affected by barometric pressure. It took awhile to figure that out. I do not suggest waiting until your child's lips or nail beds are blue by that time the oxygen level has gotten pretty low. I do also suggest a peak flo meter. they help to check your child's asthma also. My son is 21 now and I still worry about his asthma, He spent so much time in the hospital when little. It is nothing to play around with.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 1:47 AM on May. 8, 2009