is it bad to wake up a 2 month old

my daughter has started to fall asleep a few hours before we all go to bed, and wake up right before we do go to bed. that means.... shes wide awake for a good while, while need sleep. i fell asleep last night and she was wide awake in her bassinet next to our bed.

so question is is it bad to wake baby up during that nap so she doesnt stay up all night or should i not do that?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she breastfed? If that's the case she needs to wake up often, especially if she's only 2 months old.
    Anonymous

• It's not bad to wake her up as long as she does get in some nap.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i feed her when she needs to be fed, im just wondering if i can wake her during that nap before bed time. she gets a LOT of sleep in so she isnt NOT getting any.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• never wake a sleeping baby. you will never get sleep that way. it is harder to get her to fall asleep the next time. the advice i would give that worked for me is to get her on a schedule. I know most people don't believe in schedules, i didn't when my son was born but when i had my daughter 21 months later i changed my mind. she woke up at 7-8 in the morning, take 2 naps a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. then we laid her in her bed (awake but sleepy) at 9pm and she slept through the night. she has beensleeping through the night since she was 3 weeks old and she is 17 months now. produce your own schedule that works for you baby. she will get used to it and she will eventually start following the schedule on her own. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It won't kill 'em to wake 'em. I put my son on a schedule too. If he slept for more than three hours during a daily nap, I woke him and fed him. I fed him every three hours because that was what worked for him. I woke him to keep him on schedule during the day and at night I didn't make too much noise or talk to him or anything...he was sleeping all night by 3 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Then there are no worries if she's breastfed. She'd have to wake up then anyway. So she falls asleep a 'couple hours' before you do, and wakes up then, well she's ready for more!! That's pretty much how they are for about 6 months.
    Anonymous

• One of the best pieces of advice I received when I was a new mom was: let sleeping babies lie. When you wake a baby, you are disrupting baby's sleep pattern and you are more likely to wind up with a cranky, over-tired, not sleeping baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2009